Stupid question - be gentle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
When you guys reload your stoves and get that intense initial burn, do you hear the whoosh in just the firebox or do you also hear it in your pipe? For some reason, I can hear the sound in the stove pipe that exits the top of my stove. I know I didn't hear it last year. I'm thinking either it's perfectly normal, and it's just a result of my having improved my draft, or something's wrong and I shouldn't be hearing that. Which is it?

I had a softened the angle in my pipe this year to increase my draft. The stove is not overfiring, since I am still able to shut it down my shutting off the air intake. The baffle is in one piece and the flames still roll around on it as they should.

I'd rather be safe and paranoid, so there it is.

I would imagine it's pretty normal. I have a 24' tall duratech chimney and I can hear the roar in the pipe for sure.

You're probably just fine. I also often heard that sound with the Dutchwest stove. THe new stove doesn't make that noise, but its nothing to be concerned about, for the most part.

When the Castine is hot and burning intensely with full secondaries kicking in from a new load of wood, it emits a deep rumble from within the beast. Not a loud roar, but a steady rumble. At first I thought it was the airport across the water, or a freighter, but it's coming from the stove.

Hi, I can definitely hear this woosh, but I thought it was the air going through the intake tubes as the hot fire is sucking in as much air as it can get. I would think the volume of air through the flue is larger than the air intake so I thought the woosh was from incoming air and not outgoing gases, no?

Jay

BeGreen said:
When the Castine is hot and burning intensely with full secondaries kicking in from a new load of wood, it emits a deep rumble from within the beast. Not a loud roar, but a steady rumble. At first I thought it was the airport across the water, or a freighter, but it's coming from the stove.

The two boilers I've owned both rumbled from time to time when loading wood, especially when you open the ash door to kick up the fire. When I had a boiler in the basement connected to a 30-foot SS liner, it would vibrate the whole house on very cold mornings. I'm not sure if it's the air rushing into the firebox or the smoke particles crashing into the ridges on the liner, or something else. Might be the sound of secondary combustion.

Now I've got a boiler in an outbuilding attached to a 24-foot Duratech chimney, and it'll rumble the building from time to time.

I don't think it hurts anything. The first one did it for the nine years I owned that particular house, and it's still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.