Stupid question of the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gajulz

Feb 27, 2006
I have a gas log fireplace, and I was wondering about something. Can I turn this kind of fireplace into a wood burning fireplace? Is it as simple as having the gas logs removed and using wood to burn? I want to keep the gas starter, but from there, I'm totally clueless. Can't you tell? Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :cheese:

If its a true wood burning fireplace with a intact flue, yes you can burn wood in it. It wont make it any more efficient. If your gas logs have a standing piliot, then no, you cant use them as a log lighter. You will have to buy a gas log lighter to install. Both things are ileagle in the state of colorado. ie converting gas to wood, and log lighters. Check your local codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.