Success, thank you and question about oval plate on F500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vatmark

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2017
Nebo NC
I had posted earlier about the chimney sweep not knowing how to actually sweep the chimney for our Jotul F500. So today we took on the task ourselves and were successful. We used the sooteater with white rods and was really rather simple. I went outside with binoculars to make sure we got the top of the chimney cap while my husband used the sooteater. The thing we worried about most was getting the actual chimney apart but it worked out fine. Thanks to all who answered my questions.

Now I have another question. So we know we have bolts to remove on the oval plate to be able to vacuum in that area. Which way do you turn to get the bolts loose? The bolts are on there real tight.

Ann

Now I have another question. So we know we have bolts to remove on the oval plate to be able to vacuum in that area. Which way do you turn to get the bolts loose? The bolts are on there real tight.
They are standard metric bolts, turn counterclockwise to loosen.

If memory serves, think you can just loosen the bolts, and a tab will slide over and oval can then be removed..

They are standard metric bolts, turn counterclockwise to loosen.

I have another question. So we got the bolts off the oval plate and got the oval plate off. We were able to vacuum off the insulation blanket. The gasket on the oval plate is not held on with anything. It just came right off when we lifted the plate off. The gasket looked like it was fine. It was in 2 pieces though. One long piece and another smaller piece. We put it back in but not sure how well it is on there. Do you have any suggestions for gasket we can buy to replace this? Will any woostove gasket work for this or is this Jotul specific? Is it better to get gasket that is self adhesive or just use a little bit of stove cement?

Hmmm . . . the gasket under my F500 is a single gasket . . . and again, not held in place with anything other than the weight of the oval plate.

P.S. Very happy to hear that the sweeping went well.

Gasket here is also dry, no adhesive, one pc. I tried leaving the oval plate loose once, thinking what could be the harm. A while later the stove backpuffed, and that was the end of that experiment. I put the bolts back on. I think the stove has done that 3 times in a decade. Twice in the first couple months while I was learning. And wouldn't yah know, a week or so after I left the plate loose. That spot is under vacuum normally, so there really was no harm in it, except for my confidence. Now no worry of that plate being lifted and left ajar.

Hmmm . . . the gasket under my F500 is a single gasket . . . and again, not held in place with anything other than the weight of the oval plate.

P.S. Very happy to hear that the sweeping went well.

I didn't think the gasket looked right. I have no clue if when the stove was installed someone ripped it in two or what. I think I will purchase new gasket to be safe.

Gasket here is also dry, no adhesive, one pc. I tried leaving the oval plate loose once, thinking what could be the harm. A while later the stove backpuffed, and that was the end of that experiment. I put the bolts back on. I think the stove has done that 3 times in a decade. Twice in the first couple months while I was learning. And wouldn't yah know, a week or so after I left the plate loose. That spot is under vacuum normally, so there really was no harm in it, except for my confidence. Now no worry of that plate being lifted and left ajar.

Ok thanks. I think maybe I will have my husband put those bolts back in. We have had a few times during high winds that smoke came back down the chimney and leaked out the stove. I'm a Nervous Nelly with the stove so better safe than sorry.

Ok thanks. I think maybe I will have my husband put those bolts back in. We have had a few times during high winds that smoke came back down the chimney and leaked out the stove. I'm a Nervous Nelly with the stove so better safe than sorry.
There is a difference between backdraft and "backpuff". Backdraft is when a flue reverses draft. A "backpuff" is when volatile gasses accumulate in the firebox, but remain unburned, until they flash, causing a momentary pressure spike. You could do a search on here to find out about it and how to prevent it.

There is a difference between backdraft and "backpuff". Backdraft is when a flue reverses draft. A "backpuff" is when volatile gasses accumulate in the firebox, but remain unburned, until they flash, causing a momentary pressure spike. You could do a search on here to find out about it and how to prevent it.

I'm thinking it is neither of those from reading several threads. I think it was more like a wind puff. I posted on here about it and about getting a wind cap but I am still unsure whether to go that route. Some say the wind caps are hard to clean. We are going to see how things go this winter and if wind is an issue look further into it.

Except if you are talking about firefighting . . . in which case the definition of "backdraft" is actually a bit more like the definition of "backpuff" (kinda sorta . . . it's actually an explosion caused by the sudden introduction of oxygen into an oxygen-starved environment of hot, unburned gases). Incidentally, a "backpuff" in the firefighting world is more akin to being a "flashover" when the unburned gases suddenly reach flashpoint at which point they ignite.

That said . . . that is neither here nor there . . . just figured this was a teachable moment since most of us tend to use the definitions as you stated . . . although I tend to call it a reverse draft vs. backdraft myself.

Reactions: Sawset
The videos of these terms (in the firefighting world) are always surprising and interesting.
The stove can do similar types of things. Fortunately it's fairly easy to predict and avoid (at least it is here when operating the stove).

Reactions: firefighterjake