Suggestions for a basic wood insert to replace an unused fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whalefish

Jan 26, 2022
Oregon
Hi there,

I've got a fairly large stone fireplace on an exterior wall that was last used for a wood stove. The chimney has a 8" liner still in place. I'd like to use it again as a fireplace to burn wood logs, primarily for zonal heating (I have a pellet stove that heats most of the house already) but also for the ambience.

Since the liner is in place and I have no idea what would happen if I lit a fire (I imagine smoke would go everywhere), I figured a wood insert would be the only alternative. However they all seem a bit intense for my needs. Is there something a bit cheaper, less fancy, that anyone would suggest that wouldn't need to heat the whole house, but would be more efficient than the open fireplace? Something that could be used with the door open on occasion, perhaps not be totally reliant on blowers to convect decent heat?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Matt

Hi there,

I've got a fairly large stone fireplace on an exterior wall that was last used for a wood stove. The chimney has a 8" liner still in place. I'd like to use it again as a fireplace to burn wood logs, primarily for zonal heating (I have a pellet stove that heats most of the house already) but also for the ambience.

Since the liner is in place and I have no idea what would happen if I lit a fire (I imagine smoke would go everywhere), I figured a wood insert would be the only alternative. However they all seem a bit intense for my needs. Is there something a bit cheaper, less fancy, that anyone would suggest that wouldn't need to heat the whole house, but would be more efficient than the open fireplace? Something that could be used with the door open on occasion, perhaps not be totally reliant on blowers to convect decent heat?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Matt
Post some pictures and measurements of your current setup