Suggestions for adding a propane mod/con boiler to the system...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuribo

Feeling the Heat
Dec 10, 2007
SW WI
Hello-

Some background:

I am in the process of installing a Econoburn 200 gasser in a small outbuilding I built about 50' from my home. It will feed through underground 1" pex lines to (2) 500 gal propane storage tanks plumbed in parallel in my basement. From the storage tanks, I will have a pair of variable speed circs feeding a total of 4 zones controlled by zone valves. I plan to put a coil in one of the propane tanks for DHW during the heating season. I have 2 zones of in-floor in my basement, and 2 zones of in-floor on the first floor. I plan to use the method detailed here my Mr. Dudley to charge storage (modulate the return flow to keep the boiler output at a constant 180~190F so as to charge storage in a "one and done" fashion).

For backup as required by my insurance company, I plan to use a propane boiler- the triangle mod/con boilers seem like a good prospect. I would like to place it in the same small outbuilding (8'x10' block building) as my wood boiler. So my questions are:

-are there any code issues with having a propane boiler in the same room as a wood boiler?
-any issues with having it in an unheated space (I could have it feed a fin tube radiator in the small room before the supply water heads to the house I suppose)?
-I would like to use it for DHW only in the summer- any issues with having it feed a smaller tank in the house for DHW in the summer only?
-Finally, I am assuming I would want to bypass my storage tanks when heating with the propane boiler. Can I simply plumb it in to the supply lines in the outbuilding in parallel with the wood boiler, then have some motorized values that would bypass the storage tanks and feed the infloor directly?

Thanks for any any all suggestions. I assume there must be others here with a similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.