Suggestions for wood insert that sticks out onto the Hearth (max passive heat)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would appreciate any suggestions what wood stove insert to look at (or to avoid). I am specifically looking for wood inserts that stick out to the Hearth and have a warming top plate/cooking surface. I don't like the noise of a fan and prefer such a build since it seems to increase passive heat emission - in the set up of a wood insert - not easy.

I have a ca 10 year old Lopi Republic, which is great IMO and I would love to buy another for my second fire place, but they are not made anymore it seems?

I found the IronStrike Montlake 300 or 230, which is my top contender right now - but its pricey

There seems awefully little choice ? Has the taste changed ? Flush mount seems the preferred design these days ? A lot of the 'old guard' manufacturers seem to have moved on to flush mount only.......I found the Buck stove 91 mentioned here, but if given the choice I would go without catalyst, otherwise it looks nice and price is attractive.

Any other ideas ? Thanks in advance !

Regency still has some that stick out a bit. But only small and medium size

Thank you, yes the

HI2450 WOOD INSERT​

looks interesting. Unfortunately, it does not seem to fall under the current tax credit, but it has some interesting optical choices that would look good.

Thank you, yes the

HI2450 WOOD INSERT​

looks interesting. Unfortunately, it does not seem to fall under the current tax credit, but it has some interesting optical choices that would look good.
They also have the plain steel 2450 as well

We had a thread about this a while back. Cooking on an insert just is not a feature that I would look for. More radiant sure. My Drolet 1800i is a nice balance. I did not install the surround. but most or all inserts will really heat much better with a fan.

If a fan is a deal breaker have you considered a hearth installed stove? Opening height is usually the limiting factor.

The PE Summit projects out onto the hearth, but will it fit in the fireplace? What is the budget?

Just posted this on another thread, but one option is a regular wood stove set just in front of the fireplace. That's the setup I have, and since the stove is only 20" deep with a 10" hearth requirement in front (Woodstock Fireview, if you're curious), it doesn't take up much more room than the old fireplace and hearth.

Reactions: bigealta
My father in law and I both have a Buck model 81. Smaller than the 91 but is non catalytic. Can heat up to 2700sq ft. Mine has no surround and heats a 1500 sq ft ranch from the basement with blower running on medium. My father in law has a surrond and doesn't like to use his blower due to noise but has to sometimes to cool the stove down. I think any newer non catalytic insert has the potential to get to hot if a surround is in place and the blower is off. They all are designed to burn hot. The 81 also doesn't qualify for tax credits

2nd for freestanding woodstove rather than insert in fireplace opening. That's what i have and love it.