Suggestions on 4 cubic ft stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
I am in the market for a extra large stove. I need some suggestions on the makes and models of these large stoves. Thank you. The ones i know of off hand is BK king, Hearthstone equinox, and i believe the regency f5100.

wood furnace man, 4cu stove is one hell of a space heater

The lesser known Kuma Sequoia is 3.6 cu ft. and the Buck 91 is listed at 4.4 cu ft.

What's the goal, here? Burn time or firepower? BK wins on burn time. I went the multiple stove route, for better balance and firepower. Then I went to two BKs, so now I have both!

Reactions: lsucet
What's the goal, here? Burn time or firepower? BK wins on burn time. I went the multiple stove route, for better balance and firepower. Then I went to two BKs, so now I have both!
I bought a new house last year 2900 sq ft. I went with a used pellet stove being it was a cheap quick option for me. It is a harman accentra. It heats the house fairly well when it is 30 degrees or greater but once the wind picks up and gets below that it struggles to keep the house 68 degrees. My goal is to get rid of the pellet stove or have it as a back up. I don't like paying for pellets when i have plenty of wood in my back yard. So i guess i am more or less looking for heat output, but also long burn times. Doesn't have to be crazy long burn times but something to get through the night and the day when we are at work.

Depending on the layout of that 2900 sq.ft., you might do well with setting up a woodstove for primary use, and the pellet stove at the opposite end of the house to run tandem for the really cold nights.

Depending on the layout of that 2900 sq.ft., you might do well with setting up a woodstove for primary use, and the pellet stove at the opposite end of the house to run tandem for the really cold nights.
Living room is centralized in the middle of the house with open floor plan 16ft tall ceilings. Upstairs loft completly open minus two bedrooms. Downstairs is fairly open with the dining room and kitchen coming off the living room all with big openings going room to room.

I'd look into (2) stoves, I would do either a BK king or Kuma Sequoia in the living room, in the kitchen I'd look to install a wood fired cooking stove like a new esse 990 or iron heart.
Those 16ft ceilings are going to eat up a lot of heat, perhaps some ceiling fans also to create a mix or help set up a convective loop.
The nice thing is that your lucky to have new cons, newer windows, plus good insulation and building materials are in your favor.
If anything do the living room stove 1st and like Ashful said, set the pellet stove up in a different room to help (leaning towards the kitchen, because that's the 2nd most popular room in the house.)

Don't limit yourself to 4c.f. + stoves. There aren't many of them, they often use goofy 8" chimneys, and they just don't put out much more heat than a good 3.5 c.f. stove. Heating that much volume, really equivalent to a 5000 sf home, fully with a woodstove is going to be difficult and I fear that you will quickly burn out.

Definitely keep the pellet stove and acknowledge that some baseboard heat is okay too.

Burning overnight and all day means 24 hour burn times and the only stoves that can do that are cat stoves. I load mine after work every day only. The bk king or two is your stove.

Reactions: Ashful
Don't limit yourself to 4c.f. + stoves. There aren't many of them, they often use goofy 8" chimneys, and they just don't put out much more heat than a good 3.5 c.f. stove. Heating that much volume, really equivalent to a 5000 sf home, fully with a woodstove is going to be difficult and I fear that you will quickly burn out.
I was thinking the same. I did the 10 - 15 cords per year thing, my first few years, before realizing you need to put the rest of your life on hold to process wood and feed stoves at that rate. The last two years have been warm, but I've only burned 6 cords each of the last two years, and I'm much happier for it. Ironically, my oil usage (scaled per HDD) also came down at the same time, thanks to a change in stoves (Jotul to BK).

Reactions: Highbeam
I'd second the notion to look at the Quad Adventure III. Thermostat controlled air (if you like), big firebox, huge heat output.