Suggestions on Pellet Stove Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pete97

Hearth Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I have an Englander Pellet stove in my basement game room that works great. I have a Blaze King Princess insert in my Fireplace that is on the main living floor. The house is a 2 story with a basement and is well insulated and has new windows. House is not very hard to heat. I am looking into switch from a wood burning insert to a Pellet Insert. Mainly for the ease of Pellets and the fact that my free source of wood is no longer available. I have been purchasing cord wood for the last couple years and feel that using pellets may be easier. I already get pellets for the downstairs stove and would just have to buy more which isn't an issue. Questions are:
1. Will the Pellet Insert do as well as a job heating as my current stove?
2. What brand of insert to look at ?
3. Needs to be quiet because of the main living area
4. Cost ?
5. Pittsburgh Pa Winters

Thanks

I am partial to Harman do to ease of service. Easy to clean and service without removing pipe, surround ect.

I have the Harman Accentra 52i in my fireplace. Just installed it a month ago (got it used). It has a frame that stays anchored in the firebox that the intake and exhaust pipes stay connected to so you can slide out the rest of the unit pretty easily.

Not hard to clean.
Caste Iron,
Pretty flame,
Easy to operate and fill.
Bottom feed is less noisy (lacks the constant tink tink tink of pellets... only mild occasional tink tink tinks)
Blower isnt very loud. I dont have to yell to talk to someone across the room and only have to turn up the tv a few notches (speakers are right above the stove.

New ones go for around 4500 not counting install. I got mine used and its a few years older (before the touch screen controls).

I have a castle sentry stove as well and just got two harmans this year. Harman is so much nicer in many little ways... much more expensive but... I am a firm believer in the harman quality/price now!

How does the Lopi AGP compare to the Harman 52i or the 35i ?