Suggestions on taking out this chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTDave

Feb 23, 2019
NW Montana
I am removing an existing fireplace on a remodel so that a new fireplace can be installed, the only way I could get the installer to do it was by taking out the old. I'm a contractor, and everyone is over busy right now, so I'm doing it.

I haven't taken out stove pipe before, any suggestions to make this easier would be greatly appreciated.

It's triple wall (?), 13" outside diameter, 11" middle, 8" interior pipe. Assuming I take it apart from the top and not the bottom? Outer pipe first? It looks like spiral duct. It passes through a chase in the floor above fireplace, the attic, and out the roof.

I tried twisting and yanking the inner pipe today from the top to no avail.

PXL_20221021_194956227.jpg

The inner and outer walls should be one pipe assembly. There may be a firestop in the chase at the attic floor that is holding it in place. If so it may need to be disassembled in sections starting with the attic section and lifting that out first.

This may or may not help you, but when the installers removed mine, they did it sitting on top of the chimney crown. They hauled it out section by section, and threw it into the back yard. Reciprocating saws were used to get it started if i recall.