Summer is halfway done...what have you been up to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, soundslike some of you guys have a life. Me, I was planning / suppose to be off from last novemeber until now ( like andrew, enjoying my parental leave) and was hoping to get some work done in my house ( been building since 4 years, still living in the bsaement). But I was dumb enough to accept what was supposed to be a small easy contract for the company I work for. Something new, diffrent , somewhat close from home. So after I jumped in, the sky felt down, with totally out of my control circumstance. So I ended up with crazy long hours week, 3 times more manpower to manage than what I was suppose to do. Crazy, crazy, crazy. this is a end of warranty job finishing in december. Then, I think its gonna be a few months off.

So, except working and trying to spent time withthe wife and kids, I havew done nothing! But I vuess it is not so bad cause I am still smiling every day going to work :).

But I think I really need to start looking for one of those fly-in / fly-out 14-14 job !

Oh, Andrew, moving out of the area ?

Love everybody's stories. Having an arm injury for 2.5 mos and the wife having surgery a few months ago put a damper on our usual summer. No vacation this year, but we managed some fishing on the boat, got the quads out, hit a carnival, and an amusment park, and got up to the shack (pa/ny border) a few times. We are going to see zac brown band this saturday (17th) up at bethel woods in NY. The tailgate alone will almost do me in, the concert and afterparty will offer only faint memories I'm sure if its anything like the jason aldean concert last year. After that, it will be business as usual. School starts soon (youngest boy starts middle school, aka the beginning of raising hell) and gotta start focusing on winter preparations.

ATVed . . . just a bit . . . nowhere near as much as I normally do.
Did quite a bit of geocaching and hiking . . . and camping.
Watched a couple of guys put siding on the house.
Puttering around the house on small projects.
Adopted a new kitten.
Not swimming a whole lot.
Going on a mini vacation with my wife in another week or two . . . going to see the Shaker Village here in Maine and a few other local sites . . .
It's been a rather odd summer . . . going by fast . . . and it seems as though I haven't done as much as I normally do in terms of play or work.

Love everybody's stories. Having an arm injury for 2.5 mos and the wife having surgery a few months ago put a damper on our usual summer. No vacation this year, but we managed some fishing on the boat, got the quads out, hit a carnival, and an amusment park, and got up to the shack (pa/ny border) a few times. We are going to see zac brown band this saturday (17th) up at bethel woods in NY. The tailgate alone will almost do me in, the concert and afterparty will offer only faint memories I'm sure if its anything like the jason aldean concert last year. After that, it will be business as usual. School starts soon (youngest boy starts middle school, aka the beginning of raising hell) and gotta start focusing on winter preparations.
Considering your misfortune, it seems you are having/will have more fun in what little summer you enjoyed than most people get in a year!

I live in a tourist area so all the family (in-laws too) come here for holidays. Tonight I had 3 different sets of people show up to my house in 2 hours...starting this weekend, my summer (renos, finishing landscaping, cut wood, golf, camp with the kids) begins! lol

Reactions: WellSeasoned
ATVed . . . just a bit . . . nowhere near as much as I normally do.
Did quite a bit of geocaching and hiking . . . and camping.
Watched a couple of guys put siding on the house.
Puttering around the house on small projects.
Adopted a new kitten.
Not swimming a whole lot.
Going on a mini vacation with my wife in another week or two . . . going to see the Shaker Village here in Maine and a few other local sites . . .
It's been a rather odd summer . . . going by fast . . . and it seems as though I haven't done as much as I normally do in terms of play or work.
Time flies Jake when you're busy and having fun....!!!! Now you gotta come up this way sometime!!!

Andrew

Cool, soundslike some of you guys have a life. Me, I was planning / suppose to be off from last novemeber until now ( like andrew, enjoying my parental leave) and was hoping to get some work done in my house ( been building since 4 years, still living in the bsaement). But I was dumb enough to accept what was supposed to be a small easy contract for the company I work for. Something new, diffrent , somewhat close from home. So after I jumped in, the sky felt down, with totally out of my control circumstance. So I ended up with crazy long hours week, 3 times more manpower to manage than what I was suppose to do. Crazy, crazy, crazy. this is a end of warranty job finishing in december. Then, I think its gonna be a few months off.

So, except working and trying to spent time withthe wife and kids, I havew done nothing! But I vuess it is not so bad cause I am still smiling every day going to work :).

But I think I really need to start looking for one of those fly-in / fly-out 14-14 job !

Oh, Andrew, moving out of the area ?

Louis buddy, stop taking on those windmill contracts!

I went to the Bio-Parc 2 weeks ago with the family. I loved it!!!

I may be moving in the next year or so. A couple of other DIvisions (provinces) have asked if I want to move there. It will be discussed with the family (aka wife) and see if I can get released by my Division (province) to go....Take it easy and relax!

Andrew

Time flies Jake when you're busy and having fun....!!!! Now you gotta come up this way sometime!!!

Andrew

Believe it or not . . . even though you're practically next door I've never been to Quebec . . . New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia -- check, but never Quebec.

I've heard a lot of glowing reports about how great Quebec City is . . . and I hear not so great reports about thefts of sleds and trucks from the snowmobiling crowd which makes me think checking out the old city in the summer might be something I will have to do some day.

I'm back into Reggae again. I took a break for awhile and now I miss it horribly. This may seem a little silly but Reggae music means a lot to me.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Believe it or not . . . even though you're practically next door I've never been to Quebec . . . New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia -- check, but never Quebec.

I've heard a lot of glowing reports about how great Quebec City is . . . and I hear not so great reports about thefts of sleds and trucks from the snowmobiling crowd which makes me think checking out the old city in the summer might be something I will have to do some day.
Quebec City, in my opinion, is one of the nicest cities in North America (however I have only seen about 25-30 major cities..). It's not the city of Quebec that is nice....it is OLD QUEBEC. It's the closest thing to Paris outside of France. Cobble stone roads, the Chateau Frontenac overlooking the St Lawrence. It is stunning. Also, it is a UNESCO site. I am yet to see a UNESCO site not worth visiting...

I am not familiar with theft of sleds. A friend of mine is a guide up there in the winter and never mentioned anything....

If you go, I recommend the fall (early September). There are no crowds and everything is 40% less expensive than in the summer :)

Andrew

Finally ripped out the old dino oil burner(back up) and put in a high efficency propane furnace and new central air unit. Also put in all new triple pane gas filled windows and doors. Also helping the CEO start on a long overdue interior freshen up. Between last years total knee replacement and some serious family medical problems didn't get much time on the Goldwing last year. So far this year managed to get about 3700 kms. on Ole'Blue when the weather co-operates. Probably should start thinking about getting the wood monster in shape for the upcoming season.

Got caught up with some splitting and stacking of some oak early in the Summer. Gardening as per usual.
Knocked down a chimney and replaced a roof - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/chimney-removal-turns-into-roof-job.110976/#post-1480880. then went to Norway for the end of July and just got back yesterday.
DSC_8865.jpeg

a couple more pics of north cape and honningsvag
http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/billb2520/library/nordkapp and honningsvag?sort=2&page=1

Reactions: DevilsBrew and loon
1st and 2nd hay is done and 3rd is about to begin. The corn and beans look great thanks to this unbelievably cool and wet August. And we have readied the babies room which involved moving in this awesome wardrobe that my father in-law built

IMG_20130722_194553_370~01.jpg

And now we have a beautiful baby boy!

facebook951590339166.jpg

Vegetable garden mostly a bust, but some other ones not so bad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 141
Finally ripped out the old dino oil burner(back up) and put in a high efficency propane furnace and new central air unit. Also put in all new triple pane gas filled windows and doors. Also helping the CEO start on a long overdue interior freshen up. Between last years total knee replacement and some serious family medical problems didn't get much time on the Goldwing last year. So far this year managed to get about 3700 kms. on Ole'Blue when the weather co-operates. Probably should start thinking about getting the wood monster in shape for the upcoming season.
So you have had a slow summer?? *sarcasm* Changing windows is always a treat: you never know what you're going to run into once you take one out...

Where did you get on your bike? Mostly around Ontario?

Andrew

1st and 2nd hay is done and 3rd is about to begin. The corn and beans look great thanks to this unbelievably cool and wet August. And we have readied the babies room which involved moving in this awesome wardrobe that my father in-law built

View attachment 108799

And now we have a beautiful baby boy!

View attachment 108800
Congratulations on the new kid!!! Needless to say (if it is your first) your life has changed forever.... I like to sum it up this way (in a joking way): last week my wife and I went on a shopping trip. Nothing too intense, just a day without the kids in some nearby towns. We spent $750. I came back with 3 pairs of running socks and 2 cans of soup. LOL

What size farm do you have?

Andrew

Reactions: Dairyman
Our summer has been exceptionally dry. Garden is showing stress from it and multiple deer attacks. In spite of it all we have an abundance of corn, cucumbers, zuchs, potatoes, onions, etc. Tomatoes are just kicking in and the peppers are just turning red. The delay is due to earlier deer damage.

Congratulations Dairyman on the newborn addition. He's a cutie.

Congratulations on the new kid!!! Needless to say (if it is your first) your life has changed forever.... I like to sum it up this way (in a joking way): last week my wife and I went on a shopping trip. Nothing too intense, just a day without the kids in some nearby towns. We spent $750. I came back with 3 pairs of running socks and 2 cans of soup. LOL

What size farm do you have?

Andrew

Thanks, he is our first and it has been a blast so far. I hope that those are some good socks! We have around 900 acres.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?threads/102302/
Farm pics

Reactions: save$
Our summer has been exceptionally dry. Garden is showing stress from it and multiple deer attacks. In spite of it all we have an abundance of corn, cucumbers, zuchs, potatoes, onions, etc. Tomatoes are just kicking in and the peppers are just turning red. The delay is due to earlier deer damage.

Congratulations Dairyman on the newborn addition. He's a cutie.
Wasn't too dry of a summer or nothing would be growing ;)

Thanks, he is our first and it has been a blast so far. I hope that those are some good socks! We have around 900 acres.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?threads/102302/
Farm pics
Nice pictures!! Wow. Beats my 1.5 acres.

They are really nice socks. LOL. The 2 cans of soup were delicious as well.

Do you guys (Americans) measure in sections? 1/4 section (160 acres), etc? Or is it something more Canadian, eh?
:)

Reactions: save$
Reactions: Dairyman
Save: nice landscaping!!!
Thanks. There are several other gardens here. I recently had the place appraised, taxes too high. The appraiser said all the landscaping had the potential to lower the value of the home because of the demanding maintenance required to keep the landscaping in condition. I recently had a huge hemlock hedge removed because I am no longer able to trim it. A landscaper quoted me $400 to trim it. So down it came. I am putting a split rail cedar fence in its place and will line that with perineal plants that are low maintenance.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Nice pictures!! Wow. Beats my 1.5 acres.

They are really nice socks. LOL. The 2 cans of soup were delicious as well.

Do you guys (Americans) measure in sections? 1/4 section (160 acres), etc? Or is it something more Canadian, eh?
:)

Ya we use sections down here 1 section=1 square mile=640 acres. My place is split by another farm and follows a river so it's in 3 surveyed sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.