Summers heat model 55-shp22l dropping pellets too fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GeneD

Feb 14, 2017
Upstate NY
Hi my stove just recently started dropping pellets faster on the 1 setting than it ever did on 9. It is way too much. Brings my house up over 80 degrees with the flames touching the top of the stove. Please help!

Hi my stove just recently started dropping pellets faster on the 1 setting than it ever did on 9. It is way too much. Brings my house up over 80 degrees with the flames touching the top of the stove. Please help!

1. Are the tall flames lazy looking? If so you may have a cleaning issue in that the air flow is all messed up. I would first suggest a complete cleaning. If you have already done that, check your gaskets to make sure they are all up to spec.

2. Have you changed brand of pellets recently?

3. Are you saying that the 1 setting feeds faster than if you set the stove to any other setting? If so, and all the above has been looked at, then I would be inclined to think that your board may be going bad or the switch itself is not really giving you a 1 setting. Do you have a surge protector on the stove?

1. Are the tall flames lazy looking? If so you may have a cleaning issue in that the air flow is all messed up. I would first suggest a complete cleaning. If you have already done that, check your gaskets to make sure they are all up to spec.

3. Are you saying that the 1 setting feeds faster than if you set the stove to any other setting? If so, and all the above has been looked at, then I would be inclined to think that your board may be going bad or the switch itself is not really giving you a 1 setting. Do you have a surge protector on the stove?
When you say compete cleaning, what exactly do you mean? I emptied all pellets out lastnight and vacuumed and wood dust out of where the pellets drop onto the top auger to make sure that was running well. It seems that the auger is turning way too long and way too fast intermittently on the 1 setting. I just purchased this stove mid winter last year so I'd like to think the gaskets are good and the board as well but I could be wrong. I'm still trying to learn all the little details of this stove. I know my glass is not able to see through after a half day of burn. And the flames are so big they are rolling around the top. So I guess you could say they are lazy and not bellowing like on a short controlled flame. The whole burn pot is full of pellets at all times on the 1 setting right now for some reason

I also cleaned the whole inside burn area as well

Also, I am on the same brand of pellets. I did have a bag a few days ago that had some clumping in them like they had gotten wet. That was the reason for vacuuming out lastnight

After checking what has already been suggested especially the complete cleaning and you still have a problem you may want to try a control board reset for your stove. If that doesn't solve the issue check to make sure the proper "mode" setting is being used. It may be easier to try that in reverse order possibly. Try the search feature on the site to find the procedure and settings for your stove.

Last edited:
After checking what has already been suggested especially the complete cleaning and you still have a problem you may want to try a control board reset for your stove. If that doesn't solve the issue check to make sure the proper "mode" setting is being used. It may be easier to try that in reverse order possibly. Try the search feature on the site to find the procedure and settings for your stove.
OK thank you. I am at work now and will update later on tonight!

I don't think venting is the problem, since he's getting way too much heat, which tells me there are too many pellets being fed. I suspect a glitch in the controller, or a shorted triac/relay on the control board that is making the auger run continuously.

Gene D - is the auger running all the time? Can you get a look at it to tell?

A complete cleaning, as outlined in your manual (including the annual cleaning if it was not done at the beginning of this years burn) is always recommended before attempting to trouble shoot an issue. If the cleaning is not the issue, at the very least it is a safe and inexpensive rule out.

If there is no change on any of the other settings 1-9, then a controller issue is possible. As heat seeker suggests, check to see if the auger is running all the time.

Clumpy wet pellets are never good no matter what the issue. If it is just one bag, then empty and new dry pellets are a good fix. If each bag has moisture issue then this just complicates your issues. Go buy a bag of new pellets, empty the stove, fill with new pellets and see if the burn changes. This is another cheap fix before thinking about a new controller.

I notice you did not answer my question about a surge protector. Control boards are very sensitive to change and a surge protector can prolong the life of the board tremendously.

I don't think venting is the problem, since he's getting way too much heat, which tells me there are too many pellets being fed. I suspect a glitch in the controller, or a shorted triac/relay on the control board that is making the auger run continuously.

Gene D - is the auger running all the time? Can you get a look at it to tell?
The auger is not running continuous. That is what I checked lastnight

A complete cleaning, as outlined in your manual (including the annual cleaning if it was not done at the beginning of this years burn) is always recommended before attempting to trouble shoot an issue. If the cleaning is not the issue, at the very least it is a safe and inexpensive rule out.

If there is no change on any of the other settings 1-9, then a controller issue is possible. As heat seeker suggests, check to see if the auger is running all the time.

Clumpy wet pellets are never good no matter what the issue. If it is just one bag, then empty and new dry pellets are a good fix. If each bag has moisture issue then this just complicates your issues. Go buy a bag of new pellets, empty the stove, fill with new pellets and see if the burn changes. This is another cheap fix before thinking about a new controller.

I notice you did not answer my question about a surge protector. Control boards are very sensitive to change and a surge protector can prolong the life of the board tremendously.
Sorry. Yes I have a surge protector. I'm wondering if the bottom buttons may have been hit by accident to make the auger turn longer and more frequent to feed more pellets? Is this possible?

Sorry. Yes I have a surge protector. I'm wondering if the bottom buttons may have been hit by accident to make the auger turn longer and more frequent to feed more pellets? Is this possible?

Possible, seems to me I read in the manual not to touch those settings and I quote "NOTE: The bottom 3 buttons are pre-set at the factory and do not need adjustment. Call Service at (800) 245-6489 if you have questions or problems."