Summertime burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I decided to move and enlarge my fire pit / ring, to a part of the yard where I lost three big walnut trees in hurricane Sandy. Actually put it right atop the ground out stump mound of the largest of these trees.

Outside Diameter is 7'-0", big enough to burn small yard and shop scraps. Built into a hillside, but the ring and floor are plumb level. Used mostly granite, 16" x 24" x 7" (=heavy!) natural blocks reclaimed from our 1770's barn.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373588571.890907.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373588600.487906.jpg

View from house:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373588618.454483.jpg

That's a nice big pit there. Very good for burning the yard waste.
I love sitting by the fire on a summer night in the back yard. Having a few cold ones after a hard days work (or play)
I'll have to get a pic next time we are burning out there and post it up. Sounds like a good thread title to have every one post their outside burns.

Reactions: Ashful
Looks great, I love it...

Nice view from the house.
Looks like you got some space there in Philly.
What are you sitting on?
For some reason I always pictured Philly densely populated.

Nice view from the house.
Looks like you got some space there in Philly.
What are you sitting on?
For some reason I always pictured Philly densely populated.

I'm about 30 miles north of the city, on 4 acres. We live in an old farm house, that was 100 acres, but developed into a cul de sac in 1986. Our 4 acre plot is the smallest in the neighborhood, most having 6 - 7 acres.

Philadelphia county is indeed very, "densly populated".

I'm about 30 miles north of the city, on 4 acres. We live in an old farm house, that was 100 acres, but developed into a cul de sac in 1986. Our 4 acre plot is the smallest in the neighborhood, most having 6 - 7 acres.

Philadelphia county is indeed very, "densly populated".

That's a beautiful back yard. I live near DC and sit on only about 1/3 of an acre. My front yard is really nice, but my back yard is surrounded by so many tall oak trees that I can't grow any grass in my backyard. Its just flagstone, stones, and mulch. On the plus side, its good for storing firewood. :)

That is a amazing view from the house. Your yard is very well managed sir.

Thanks, guys. That yard is my second job! :lol:

That is a beautiful back yard. Wish mine looked half as nice.
Here is my fire pit, unfortunately, no fire in it tonight. Maybe tomorrow night.
backyard fire pit 1.jpg

Oh, the firepit is way in the back there :)

HAHA, ya. Sure, come on over. Lots of cold ones, and wood to split.

I love it. Joful you don't do anything small ;)

Makes me miss the 3 acre lot I grew up on... Making do on 0.5 these days.....

Was just out getting some wood (yes, I may have to have an indoor fire today as that is my heat source, other than electric base boards) and this is what I saw.
Taxiing down the river.
plane taxing.jpg

Plane taking off.
plane take off.jpg

Very nice property Joful. I think I know right where you are. real nice up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.