SUMMIT EBT (and other questions)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rg500930

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2007
northern ontario
does anyone know what temp the ebt opens and closes.i have a insert so i cant see mine.i read that the free standing ones you can watch it.if so has anyone watched it.and when they say char the wood before turning the air down.does that mean so the woods glowing red or just black?also when you turn the air down for a long burn do you turn it down so most of the flames are coming from the top air baffle?its surprising how much of a learning curve is to burning in one of theses things .but im loving it.

rg500930 said:
does anyone know what temp the ebt opens and closes.i have a insert so i cant see mine.i read that the free standing ones you can watch it.if so has anyone watched it.and when they say char the wood before turning the air down.does that mean so the woods glowing red or just black?also when you turn the air down for a long burn do you turn it down so most of the flames are coming from the top air baffle?its surprising how much of a learning curve is to burning in one of theses things .but im loving it.

The temp it opens and closes is a bit of a mystery....it can't be "seen" (open/close) on the freestanders either, but sometimes you can "tell" that it has opened by watching the fire. Real slow lazy flame, then it picks up a little bit for a few mins then back down etc.

How long you char the load depends on your wood, how it's loaded, and how hot you want to run the stove. ie) char it longer and it will burn hotter over the length of the fire.

The closer the wood is loaded to the baffle the more likely you are to get those "top down" burning fires because the flames that ignite the secondaries are so close to the baffle. Little or no flame will come from below but non stop seconadry on top...that's how to get a looonng clean burn in the summit.

In general as long as you maintain active secendary burn (except the coaling stage) your good.

Something like this is way too crude to be set to a certain temperature......because so many factors (wood, room air temp, coal bed, chimney strength) can make the temps at various parts of the stove differ. So it is "relative" as opposed to absolute.

if you had the thermometer at the base of the fireplace near the ebt i think it would be very close.they both work the same way.with a coil spring.i would like to know at what range it likes to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.