SUMMIT EBT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Ok you Summit guys, what's the deal with the EBT "EXTENDED BURN TIME"? I don't understand how letting in more air into the firebox is going to extend a burn? That was my take when I read up on it. As the firebox cools the EBT opens to let more air in right? So it won't extend a burn, but it should maintain a burn or try to maintain a certain BTU range? It seems to me, that they installed this to help pass the EPA emission test with a large fire box stove. And if it works so well to extend a burn, why not put it into a smaller stove or all their stoves? What kind of burn times are we talking about? PE doesn't state any burn times for the Summit that I could find.

EBT explained

Are you going to come over to the dark side Todd? After really enjoying the heat from the Vista, I have more than half thought about getting rid of the Isle Royale to grab an Alderlea T6 after I saw carpniels suggest the same thing.

I don't think this would work in a smaller stove since it wouldn't have the fuel capacity to get a long burn in the first place.

It extends the burn by letting you set a lower air setting without fear of the fire smoldering.

10hrs of good heat...14hr enough coals for relight.

Somebody, I think it was Tom the chimneysweeponline, stated last year that PE came up with EBT to get the Summit to burn as long as the Super 27 does.

It seems to me that all stove sizes could benefit from thermostatic draft control (such as EBT). Granted the little guys won't see 10-14 hours, but they could perhaps stretch 4-5 hours to 6-8 hours or something like that.

Any wood stove powered by natural chimney draft is fundamentally an unstable system... the hotter the fire, the stronger the draft, the greater the air supply... and around the circle it goes (and vice versa on a cooling fire). A draft thermostat seems like an obvious step to reign in the instability and keep a reasonably constant, and clean, burn going throughout the cycle. Why don't we see more of them?

Eddy

No, I'll never turn to the dark side! :lol: I think I get it after looking at Tom's drawings. It's not just a spring loaded door that opens and closes by temp, That's what I was thinking. It is a spring loaded arm that pivots and allows it to open at the start of a fire, then fluctuate as the fire burns to maintain a more even burn, and finally close at the end of the fire to maintain the coals. Kind a cool. I want one for my stove. :down: Still don't understand why they don't have it in their other stoves?

Somewhere online I saw a mention of using a carburetor choke to regulate the air supply, back in the 70's. Seems like a cheap modification. The choke is a bimetallic coil similar to the EBT, etc. ones.

Todd said:
Kind a cool. I want one for my stove. :down: Still don't understand why they don't have it in their other stoves?

The EBT is available seperately, just go to the nearest PE dealer, and order the following:
1- EBT p/n SUMM.EBT
1- EBT gasket p/n 3237.0

Then add it to your stove. You'll have to drill 2 holes, 1/8" dia. Plus a 3/4" hole for the air to enter the stove from the EBT.

Or carefully examine a SUMMIT to see how it is installed.

Jimbob said:
Todd said:
Kind a cool. I want one for my stove. :down: Still don't understand why they don't have it in their other stoves?

The EBT is available seperately, just go to the nearest PE dealer, and order the following:
1- EBT p/n SUMM.EBT
1- EBT gasket p/n 3237.0

Then add it to your stove. You'll have to drill 2 holes, 1/8" dia. Plus a 3/4" hole for the air to enter the stove from the EBT.

Where is the EBT installed? Is It seperate from the main air supply or is it part of the same and when you close off the main air supply the EBT kicks in?

I have a small box on the back of my stove that has the air suply hole and lever. That is the only air supply to the stove and it completely shuts off. It would be easy to mount that EBT on that box, then when you want it to run simply shut off the main air supply and the EBT should take over? But don't know if it would be the right temps there to activate it?

I doubt it will work...plus with a cat and soapstone why would you need it?

The ebt is installed on the bottom of the stove towards the right front. I imagine the temp at which it activates is quite precise to the stove and location. It is tuned to run at temps on the bottom of a steel stove....the back of a soapstone stove is a different animal.

Ya, the more I think about it, it won't work. It would have to be located inside the firebox somewhere. The soapstone would make it slow to react.

it would be nice to know what temp the ebt opens and closes.i'm surprised no one looked into it.wish i took it apart before i installed the insert.just to see how it works.because when you think of it what happens if you turn your dampner down and the ebt is opened?when the temp goes down it the stove the ebt can't give more air because its already opened.also in that demo about how it works.the flap that opens and closes that hole.its not conected to anything.other than it being pushed by that arm.if that was the case wouldnt the draw from the draft open that flap?

Jimbob said:
1- EBT p/n SUMM.EBT
1- EBT gasket p/n 3237.0

JimBob -- funny, just yesterday I downloaded the Summit's owners manual PDF to see what the EBT part looked like, with the idea of buying one to fool around with... but figured the EBT box might not be available for separate sale. Any idea what they list for?

I agree with the remarks about the thing being highly tuned to a specific installation, but there are probably ways to rotate the bimetal coil and otherwise monkey with the setpoint. As far as responding to the temperature... the outside of the firebox, especially on the bottom, doesn't seem like the greatest place to sense the burn temp to control the inlet air. Seems like there'd be LOTS of time lag in the feedback loop... which perhaps accounts for reports of the Summit EBT "pulsing" the burn rather than smoothly regulating it. Sensing the flue collar or stove top temp would be a much more direct "signal"... though obviously, less convenient as regards the intake air plumbing.

Interesting idea about the carburetor automatic choke... though of course in stock form those are designed to OPEN as they warm up. But where there's a will there's a way... maybe just turn over the coil?

Eddy

EddyKilowatt said:
Jimbob said:
1- EBT p/n SUMM.EBT
1- EBT gasket p/n 3237.0

JimBob -- funny, just yesterday I downloaded the Summit's owners manual PDF to see what the EBT part looked like, with the idea of buying one to fool around with... but figured the EBT box might not be available for separate sale. Any idea what they list for?

Eddy

They probably list for ~ fifty bucks. I'm pretty far away from you, so my local dealer's prices will probably be different than what your dealer sells them for.
Phone your local dealer with the part #'s listed above.
Let me know what you found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.