Summits & Personal Quests

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We rode from Washington to New Hampshire. I spent 2 years assembling a low-weight high tech package. By the end of the trip my bike weighed 145lbs without the pumpkin.

Just ride.

Couldn't stop myself from posting again. On the local TV news last night

News

Visit the Facebook page Rolling Over Hunger and follow the action.

The conclusion of an epic adventure. I arrived home happy and healthy yesterday, Sept 25, after about 1500 miles riding around Lake Superior from and back to my home in north central MN. Had riding companions 3 days, otherwise solo. Average full riding day pretty close to 75 miles, longest was 97 miles. Had 2 one-half day layovers and 1 full day layover on a trip that started on Sept 3. Handled every hill, twist and turn on the bike; no hill too steep or climb too long. Bike and gear weighed 105 lbs. Camped about half the time. No mechanical failures on the bicycle, no flat tires, the REI Randonee performed flawlessly. Made a few on the fly route changes due to road/weather conditions from the original route I planned. My final equipment supply list was about perfect, would change very little if I should take another long bicycle trip that could face the variable weather conditions of Lake Superior in September.

The pix is me on the loaded bike and a couple of guys I met in Wawa, Canada, who were riding a back-to-back recumbent on a ride east to west across Canada.
Canada-Hearth.jpg

Reactions: mr.fixit
Congrats! An awesome ride for sure.
Did you hit a lots of construction in Ontario? I just remembered I was talking to a lady on vacation in Petosky, MI who had come across the top of Superior & said there was a ton of road work going on.

In bicycling around Lake Superior there was a lot of road construction on 17 in Canada and a lot also had been completed. The construction was a bicycler's bonus. The construction would cone off a lane that was finished or for use by construction trucks but was fully usable to ride with a bicycle, and I did without having to pay attention to truck/car traffic. Several long stretches of "dedicated bike lane" riding on new pavement.

And I have to say that bicycling around Lake Superior on 17 in September is a good highway to bicycle. All but one truck and all cars gave me plenty of room when passing. Shoulders were generally good to satisfactory, lots of passing lanes, and extra wide shoulders on curves -- much better than some of the highways I ride in MN -- and traffic was very light. The only difficult areas were the city roads and traffic in Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay. Lots of traffic, narrow lanes, lots of patches and cracks on the roads. Bicycles have to ride through TB, can't stay on the 4-lane 11-17, and I arrived and rode through TB during afternoon rush hour in the rain. That was a little tense.

Another bonus for me. There was truck fire on 17 about 20k south of Wawa that closed down the highway for hours. I was able to ride passed all the blocked trucks and cars, the police let me walk my bike over the fire hoses and around the fire site, and I was back on my way to Wawa. When I arrived in Wawa 17 still was not open to traffic. I had 12 miles of 17 all for me and my bike.

You can read my blog postings on Facebook page Rolling Over Hunger for a day-by-day quick summary of my experience. These postings are short and there is a lot more detail plus a lot more pictures, but I tried to capture the highlights of each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.