Sump Pump - Battery Backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
Hi guys, just finished reading the recent sump pump post but need some more info. Replaced my sump pump about six months ago because the switch was sticking sometimes, I replaced it with this Flotec that has an electronic switch:

http://www.flotecpump.com/ResidentialProduct_fl_su_su_E100ELT.aspx

With all the recent power outages I want to put a battery backup on it, but it seems all I find are backup pumps with battery backups.....when I just want the battery backup. I did find this solution, but at 2K it's way too expensive:

http://www.emecole.com/pages/Sumpro---Auxiliary-Power-Source.html

...plus I don't think it would run my pump since it's 1 hp. So my understanding is that I can't really provide a battery backup to my 1 hp Flotec pump but am going to have to go with something that is a backup, is smaller, will run longer on a batter, and splice it into my existing sump pump system......something like this:

http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Zoeller-507-Sump-Pump/p3756.html

Or am I missing something and is there a more elegant solution?

What you have found is correct. The most elegant solution that is reliable is a generator. That is a big motor for a sump pump, but it runs at 7.5amps and is listed for a 15a breaker. For a 1hp pump I would have a 3KW generator. And a couple spare 5 gallon containers of gas on hand.

If this pump is mission critical and handling high inflow, then don't mess around with a cheap solution. My SIL has this situation. When there is a mega-rain they have a main and a backup pump. And at times they have to run both! In their basement are also 3 of the standard cheaper style pumps that they have used in the past and now keep for parts. Word, never build a house in lowland near a swamp.

One other thought, be sure the pump is sized correctly. Under the worst conditions (and this year has provided them) how often did the old sump cycle? If it is say, once every 5 minutes, then I would not jump up in pump size. You would be better off in getting a quality Zoeller that is of lower horsepower. Otherwise the larger pump might short cycle which will reduce its lifespan. A smaller (1/2 or 3/4 hp) pump will also allow you to run it on a smaller generator. If however, there can be local flooding and you get conditions where the pump is running continuously, then a bigger pump may be warranted, or two pumps.

What is sometimes done, but costs a bit more - have 2 pumps installed, with the floats at different levels. The one pump will kick on, and if it can't keep up, the second switch makes and starts the second pump. So, you only run a small pump unless it needs help. Plus, you have a backup pump already installed in case of failure.

Once a year, say, reverse the float positions to equalize the wear, if desired.

As an aside, many homes around here were seriously flooded over the past two weeks. In a few, the water was still a foot or so high outdoors and upon pumping the basement, the water pressure on the foundations was high enough to cause the foundation walls to fail. Probably wouldn't have happened if the pressures were equal.

Retired Guy said:
As an aside, many homes around here were seriously flooded over the past two weeks. In a few, the water was still a foot or so high outdoors and upon pumping the basement, the water pressure on the foundations was high enough to cause the foundation walls to fail. Probably wouldn't have happened if the pressures were equal.

I've heard of that happening with concrete swimming pools, if they were emptied. It happened to a friends in-ground vinyl pool when they drained it to repair it. The sides started collapsing. Not a good thing! Water is quite a force to be reckoned with.

Another option, if one is on city water supply, is to use a water powered backup pump like the Basepump.

I've not used one, but the concept sounds good for extended power outages. Unless one has an automatic standby generator, the intermittent use of a portable generator might not be timed properly to keep sump from overflowing, nor run enough to charge the backup battery.

If they work as advertised, a high water bill would be much lower than a basement cleanup. Of course, if everyone used them, the city supply would probably be overwhelmed.

My sump cycled on every 15 seconds or so - but it was distinctly because the sump cavity was filling up that fast. It would only be pumping for about 5 seconds, empty the sump cavity, then it would re-fill and start all over.

So my sump pump easily handled massive volume of water, but it required a quick cycling.

I'm thinking small generator + an emergency extra sump is in order...

I highly recommend putting in a water powered backup pump if you are on city water. The battery powered backups will only run so long and batteries do go bad. I have installed a couple of Liberty water powered backup pumps and liked them very much. Personally I would rest much easier with a water powered backup than a battery.

This is the model I have the most experience with
http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=76&s=23&c=14

Home centers often have similar water powered backups in stock but they looked pretty cheap to me. You'll have to go to a Pluming supply house to get a good one most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.