sunday morning, 4:20AM, 5 degF & Im wide awake now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eernest4

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2007
ct
netzero.com
So what the hell am I doing up at this hour, I ask myself, except for feeding the stove, that is.

If anyone wonders why I always post at 4 or 5 am, its because after I wake up from freezing my backside off & finish filling up the wood stove, its because I can't get back to sleep again.

That really sucks, alot!

so, here I am with a brand new battery in my car that I didn't want to have to buy(the cold knocked the crapolla out of the old battery. It wouldn't hold a charge overnight) and a brand new hd dish reciever with 200 hr dvr ,digital video recorder & america's top 100 package that i don't have a clue how to opperate.
& a owners manuel 38 pages thick that I have to read to learn how to run my tv.
The remote has more buttons than my computer keyboard
fer christs sake!

Well ,at least it is 40.oo a month cheaper than my cable was.

Now, no one to talk to & nothing to do except make an extra early breakfast.

oh well, I think Ill attempt to entertain myself by reading about the troubles other posters are experiencing with their wood stoves. woopie doo!

I guess later today Ill take a crack at that owners manuel & then if I get really bored, I can get out my check book & pay some bills & maybe get an early start on my income tax.

Is that all life is now, just paying bills & doing income tax & waiting to get old enough to die?
that really sucks. I used to have a live but then every one else died.my turn next.

I remind me of that line in Jolee's Wanted movie "the only thing I care about is the fact that I dont really care about anything, anymore." :-S

Welcome to my every Sunday morning...lol I work at a hockey rink part time so I'm up and out the door by 4:45 and usually on hearth.com by 5:45 via the office computer ;)

Too Funny. I just got done loading the furnace, Payed the phone and electric bill online, Was trying to figure out why my 18-55mm camera lens wont auto focus and was going through the manual, and brought up a roast to defrost for dinner....are you my Doppelganger? Just be thankful you still have a life to be bored with I guess.

Well its a balmy 11 outside and a toasty 60 in the house. Dogs are out, furnace restocked for another 3-4 hours with full burn to get the temps up above 64. Don't have anything to do since I am retired and will cut or split wood later to keep from running out so damn soon. :-S

Shipper

The new puppy woke me up at 5:30 to go out. That and the furnace kicking on...refilled the stove so it is finally warming up past 60 in here. The rest of the family is in a little cabin in the woods having a boyscout overnight - uninsulated, heated by woodstove. Seeing as it is 9 degrees out, I guess I have it a lot better than they do! Oh yeah, they don't heat the outhouse! Just waiting for it to get light enough outside to take care of the outside animals.

I should have added that I knew it was cold outside when I walked into the rink this morning and thought "hmmm...comfortable in here!" I checked the thermometer and it's a balmy 38 degrees!

Well filled the Aqua-therm at 9pm last night and haven't touched it yet. It is -14 here in my part of Maine and I am in no hurry to rush outside. 68 degrees in the house. I need to put in more baseboard.

My story: 1:00am, -13*, reloading the stove and swearing about the fan shutting off when the stove is 400* and the house is cooling down and the furnace might come on. In the grand scheme of the world, if that is all I have to worry about, I guess I'm pretty lucky. Anyway, glad to hear I'm not the only one up at those hours.

eernest4 said:
So what the hell am I doing up at this hour, I ask myself, except for feeding the stove, that is.

If anyone wonders why I always post at 4 or 5 am, its because after I wake up from freezing my backside off & finish filling up the wood stove, its because I can't get back to sleep again.

That really sucks, alot!

so, here I am with a brand new battery in my car that I didn't want to have to buy(the cold knocked the crapolla out of the old battery. It wouldn't hold a charge overnight) and a brand new hd dish reciever with 200 hr dvr ,digital video recorder & america's top 100 package that i don't have a clue how to opperate.
& a owners manuel 38 pages thick that I have to read to learn how to run my tv.
The remote has more buttons than my computer keyboard
fer christs sake!

Well ,at least it is 40.oo a month cheaper than my cable was.

Now, no one to talk to & nothing to do except make an extra early breakfast.

oh well, I think Ill attempt to entertain myself by reading about the troubles other posters are experiencing with their wood stoves. woopie doo!

I guess later today Ill take a crack at that owners manuel & then if I get really bored, I can get out my check book & pay some bills & maybe get an early start on my income tax.

Is that all life is now, just paying bills & doing income tax & waiting to get old enough to die?
that really sucks. I used to have a live but then every one else died.my turn next.

I remind me of that line in Jolee's Wanted movie "the only thing I care about is the fact that I dont really care about anything, anymore." :-S

At least you got your health! :cheese:

14 below in my part of Maine as well... wood boiler burned down to coals at about 4:30... need to figure a way to rig some kind of alarm on that critter. Anyway, no big deal... throw a big armload of wood in and stand back ;)

Recovery is obviously not as long when you can catch it before the water temperature gets too low. Maybe a smoker monitor... clamp the probe to the pipe with some tinfoil like a strap on aquastat? :)

VC insert is cruising at about 600 degrees... tried to run away last night... fiddled around with the ash door and reigned it in. Awful sensitive in that area, if it's off in the least it wants to run off.

You need to put 4:20 into context by saying what time you got to bed. I mean, it's all relative. I stoked the stove up at 11:30 and meant to give it a half hour to char well but an hour later, I tossed on one more piece and called it a night. Slept in until 8:00 this morning and there were still a lot of coals in the stove. The furnace did kick in however since it went down to -29C.

My sat remote has more buttons than you can shake a stick at but I don't use most of them. There may be 500 channels but it's the same crap on most of them and reruns from 20 years ago.

5 degrees huh? Please send the heatwave up this way. :) ;) Of course if this was 5 degrees inside your house you really do have my sympathy . . . BRRRRR.

Actually yesterday was a bit nippy around 7 a.m. with the temp around -13 at my house . . . rode down on the sled to breakfast . . . after breakfast (8:30 a.m. or so) it was actually pretty comfortable outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.