Super 27 cruising temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
I finally got a stove top thermo about a week ago. It seems the reality of what I have read pertaining to PE's running a little hot is true.

Just too put my mind at ease when I'm going to bed, 650-725 isn't too hot is it? The stove likes to level out around there, maintain, then slowly go down to 550-600.

Being that 650 is the start of the "red zone" on my thermometer.... I start to panic and feel like I have to watch the stove until it dies down. I'll even get a fan and point it at the stove to help calm my paranoia.

Once again, thanks for any help!

With good hardwood that is where the T6 likes to head sometimes. Don't panic. The stove is solid and well made. It can handle it. 650F is normal cruising temp for our stove.

For lower temp burns try using larger splits and pack the firebox tightly. If the splits are very dry, then after the wood has caught fire start turning down the air sooner and more aggressively. Don't put out the flame, but slow it down until lazy, then wait for it to regain strength and turn it down again.

I forgot to add, I am burning slab wood mostly now, as all my dry oak splits are gone. :( I'm being careful not to load it too much, especially with piece that have more surface area exposed. I would say I'm not even loading it up half way.

As you mentioned, I prob do need to perfect my toning down of the air.

So, if it levels out at 725, I can sleep and not be concerned? Sorry, lol my paranoia needs more placating.

I try to stay at 700F or below, but don't freak out when it gets up to 725F as long as I know why it is at that temp and as long as it's not still climbing.

I've found the magnetic thermo to be pretty useless. My IR shows wide variations in temp, sometimes 100° or more, in less than a couple of inches. And where the hottest spot was with the last load, is on the opposite side with the next one. I think it depends on how the splits are arranged, and where it starts burning first, even though the firebox isn't very wide. Opposite of my BK, which is always hottest right on top of the cat.

Be careful with the slab wood.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Those are the same temps that I get. I only get worried above 750 F when I turn up the blower. I second the recommendation to be careful with the slabwood. Pack it tight.

Sorry, I typed the wrong temp on my last post. I meant 675-700. According to my stove top thermo it appears to never go past 700. But, since that is in the "too hot" section, a mild touch of anxiety does creep up.

I won't load it up too much with slab wood unless I'm around to monitor. Like I mentioned, when I do "load it up" when using slab wood, "loading it up" isn't even halfway. Just that stuff can really get going!

At 675-700 it sounds fairly normal. Do you have a blower on the stove? If so turning it on should drop the temp by about 100F in a few minutes.

At 675-700 it sounds fairly normal. Do you have a blower on the stove? If so turning it on should drop the temp by about 100F in a few minutes.

No, I didn't get one because it was $300. I don't need one at all as far as distributing the heat goes. But peace of mind as a means of helping control stove temp might help.

Are their any alternatives to getting the pricy PE blower?

I've found the magnetic thermo to be pretty useless. My IR shows wide variations in temp, sometimes 100° or more, in less than a couple of inches. And where the hottest spot was with the last load, is on the opposite side with the next one. I think it depends on how the splits are arranged, and where it starts burning first, even though the firebox isn't very wide. Opposite of my BK, which is always hottest right on top of the cat.

Be careful with the slab wood.
Yeah the IR is the way to go in my opinion. IR at the moment says 695 F at the collar. Humming right along with my lodgepole pine. -33 C here this morning!

Are their any alternatives to getting the pricy PE blower?

1011140712.jpg

This actually works very well. It was an emergency solution to move more heat, and it hasn't been put away. I can't justify the expense of a proper blower, it works so well.

It would be pretty quiet, but the fan is on its last leg and sorta rattles. A lot.

View attachment 146237

This actually works very well. It was an emergency solution to move more heat, and it hasn't been put away. I can't justify the expense of a proper blower, it works so well.

It would be pretty quiet, but the fan is on its last leg and sorta rattles. A lot.

Thats my next purchase when my blower goes out again! Motor with twin squirrel cages was $100 to replace. I can probably buy 4 or 5 of those fans for that price! And dissapointed in how loud the blower is. It's LOUDER than the original! Those little fans are much quieter.

View attachment 146237

That's a good idea. I'll have to go pick something up. How does the blower attach anyway? Does it simply blow up on the rear shield forcing air up and over the top of the stove out the front?

My PE is very happy at 650 - 750 F.

So am I.

;)

I wouldn't be worried about those temps as long as they were holding there for a while and I was sure they weren't still on the way up.

The climb and hold at 700 does seem fairly common for me as well.
Tonight though, I loaded two fairly large pine splits, pretty much filling the box. I had been a little impatient and still had pretty hot coal bed going. I started shutting down air in about a minute and went all the way to idle speed after about two or three minutes. The stove continued to climb to a little over 750 and I got some of that "new stove smell" coming off the pipes for a bit.

No issues but it gave me the urge to go outside and view the chimney output. Thankfully, it was a spark-less thing of clean burning beauty. I love that the PE and the pipe handles it just fine but I'll try to keep it under 700...just because.

The climb and hold at 700 does seem fairly common for me as well.
Tonight though, I loaded two fairly large pine splits, pretty much filling the box. I had been a little impatient and still had pretty hot coal bed going. I started shutting down air in about a minute and went all the way to idle speed after about two or three minutes. The stove continued to climb to a little over 750 and I got some of that "new stove smell" coming off the pipes for a bit.

No issues but it gave me the urge to go outside and view the chimney output. Thankfully, it was a spark-less thing of clean burning beauty. I love that the PE and the pipe handles it just fine but I'll try to keep it under 700...just because.
Lol that "new stove smell" got me out of bed the other night to go make sure there wasn't an out of control inferno happening... There wasn't but she was hot!

Reactions: highanddryinco
Status
Not open for further replies.