Super 27 seems harder to start?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

back2basics

May 16, 2022
Western WA
New Super 27 as of this year. Been burning it since October 1st or so. Lately it seems that it's been tougher to get it started and a good initial burn going. My wood is all nice and dry - fir and maple and alder mix. I use only cedar kindling and fir to get it started. Is it possible it just needs a good cleanout? The ash in the box isn't very deep. Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Have you tried a top down fire with more kindling than you think should ever need to use?

I've not heard of this method, but just read an article about it. I guess part of my thinking is that I do not like to "waste" kindling - and might not be using as much as I should with my traditional starting method. But even so, considering I've started my stove the same way each time, it still seems to be a bit tougher to start. I don't have a ton of kindling on hand, and have been meaning to remedy the situation.

Thanks for the suggestion about top down start. I'll have to give it a try and see what I think.

I've not heard of this method, but just read an article about it. I guess part of my thinking is that I do not like to "waste" kindling - and might not be using as much as I should with my traditional starting method. But even so, considering I've started my stove the same way each time, it still seems to be a bit tougher to start. I don't have a ton of kindling on hand, and have been meaning to remedy the situation.

Thanks for the suggestion about top down start. I'll have to give it a try and see what I think.
You won’t go back!!!

2 things come to mind, if you have a cap on the top of your flue, it might be partially clogged with ash and need to be cleaned out. The other thing is you might have found a wetter patch of wood.