"super" flue tile ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Feb 25, 2007
Still planning here :)
When I built my 1st house (1990) with a dedicated wood stove chimney, I recall reading about a "super" flue tile.
It was dimensionly the same as a clay liner, but made from a material that "could" withstand something like 2000 deg ??
If I recall it was "gray" in clor?
Anyone have any info on "upgraded" flue tiles?

Thanks,

Nick

Why use flue tiles? Run a Class A HT chimney and that's rated for 2100F. You can make the chase out of stud walls and put real brick on it if you want, or cultured stone or even vinyl siding.

A masonry heater uses flue tile for the 1st 6-8 feet of chimney - at least.
Then some convert to class A, some are masonry all the way up.

Problem comes in if you install a bypass (to dump the exhaust directly into the chimney) some heater masons have said the 1st flue tile can get heat damage.
The bypass is used to burn a fire without heating up the masonry mass. (romance fire).

But for the 2nd flue (basement wood stove) I am trying to get all my options (class A wrapped in masonry, flue tile, super flue tile)

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.