Supreme Vision chimney sweep cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
I'm having an issue with smoke when opening the door when a fire is going. I reviewed the manual and read about the chimney sweep cap and doubt its related to my smoke issue but noticed it does not seem to be in place. Is it just a piece of metal that blocks access to the stove pipe?

If I look up from inside the fire box I can see straight up the stove pipe and feel this is an issue. I went thru the manual and can't find anything up there to cover it.

IMG_2979.jpgScreen Shot 2021-09-29 at 9.51.12 AM.png

What insert is this, I need to form a better picture in my mind in order to try and help, and yes it appears to be missing, is it laying flat on top of the baffle of on the side? that baffle should be a complete surface usually 2/3 or 3/4 of the fire box with the back end being totally plated off and only the front end of the stove having an air gap from the firebox area to the smoke chamber. This missing piece can be causing the turbulence issue with smoke when liting or having the door open, other contributing factors can be a plugged chimney screen, dirty chimney, to short of a chimney, reverse draft from inside mechanical pressures (think bathroom fan, dryer, whole house circulating fan) how the fireplace is situated in the house (stack effect) usually when the insert, stove or fireplace is located in the basement or wet / unseasoned wood.

Last edited:
It looks like the chimney sweep cap is supposed to close the hole and when it is in place the smoke goes through the baffles instead of directly up the chimney. So if you have already swept the chimney then the sweep cap needs to block off the hole.

Cell phone to the rescue. I stuck my camera up after trying to find it with my fingers and low and behold something stood out. I was able to get it back into position. Thank you for your guidance. Next up try and figure out how to clean it out up there.

IMG_2982.jpgIMG_2998.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The black glaze in the chimney does not look good, especially if it gets worse above. When was the chimney last professionally cleaned? I don't think the issue of smoke rollout was because the cleaning cap was not in place. Instead I suspect that the chimney cap screen at the top of the chimney may be plugged.

How well seasoned is the firewood?

There's going to be a mess so prepare the working place. Maybe use one of those hand hoes to pull it to the hole and let it fall in a bucket. Then a shop vacuum with a real good filter.

I took the baffle down which was held with with 4 screws and cleaned that out. I think that was half of my smoking issues. It was jam packed with soot. Its drawing better now but still spills smoke when the door is open. The stack is only 10 feet as well and that will be my next item to look at. I want to get another section to extend it. The manufacture recommends 15 to 24 feet.

Yes, 10 ft is too short. Getting it up to 16' should make a notable improvement. Be sure to brace the chimney properly at the 5' point above the roof penetration.

I'm told it was done not too long ago, Its my parents cottage and people have been staying here. I'm here working remote now trying to fix things up. I feel it was a fire hazard before but getting better now.