Surdiac Gotha 713 Install Questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JocelynB0425

Sep 2, 2019
PA
Hello. About a year ago we got a Surdiac Gotha 713 from an Elderly couple who had originally purchased it back in the early 80s. I know the company has been out of business for quite some time. My husband and I are looking to install it this year since heating with oil is costing us almost $2k/year. And that’s with keeping our old house at 60*-65*. We live in an area where Coal is easily and readily available for delivery or pick up. Many people in this region pay less than $500/year for heat.
So my questions are this...
I found a pdf of the manual and it says to install the back of the stove 17” from a combustible surface. If I covered my wall with a non combustible surface could I install it closer?
My husband plans on doing a double wall insulated metal pipe chimney. We have asbestos siding on our house. (Fire proof) According to local code we can attach the chimney to the exterior of the house (thanks to asbestos siding) my question is, is that actually safe?
If we install a double wall insulated pipe chimney do we also need to get a liner? When searching for chimney pipe I keep coming across a flexi liner thing....
Also the manual recommends setting it on asbestos board... concrete (or is it cement?) board do the same thing?
My husband has installed wood stoves before for friends but that was at least 10 years ago.

Last edited:
• I found a pdf of the manual and it says to install the back of the stove 17” from a combustible surface. If I covered my wall with a non combustible surface could I install it closer?
Re-read the manual. This stove has high clearances. The rear clearance is 38" from the stove, 25" from the connector pipe. Side clearance is 25.5" The clearance can be reduced to no less than 12" with a proper ventilated wall shield. This can be made out of metal, cement board (tiled or not) or other rigid non-combustible material set on 1" spacers and open at the bottom and top. (The 17" from the rear of the stove is for the hearth protection. The diagram on the right is the clearances diagram.)
Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 9.59.44 AM.png

Note that the connecting stove pipe also has a clearance requirement. Single wall requires 18" unless shielded. Double-wall stove pipe typically has a clearance of 6".

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/#post-1987380
• My husband plans on doing a double wall insulated metal pipe chimney. We have asbestos siding on our house. (Fire proof) According to local code we can attach the chimney to the exterior of the house (thanks to asbestos siding) my question is, is that actually safe?
Metal chimney pipe requires at least 2" clearance from combustibles. The brackets made for the chimney pipe provide this clearance.
• If we install a double wall insulated pipe chimney do we also need to get a liner? When searching for chimney pipe I keep coming across a flexi liner thing.
What you need is class A chimney pipe. No liner, that is for an existing masonry chimney. You will also need a proper thimble to pass a short stub of chimney pipe through the wall that ties in to a tee at the bottom of the chimney.
• Also the manual recommends setting it on asbestos board... concrete (or is it cement?) board do the same thing?
A cement board of the correct dimensions made out of Durock should work. It can be tiled or covered with sheet metal.

exterior prefab chimney.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: JocelynB0425
Begreen covered it pretty well. But I have to add your choice money needs to be a coal grade chimney. That means the inner wall needs to be 316 grade stainless. It is best if the.outside is 316 as well but that isn't easy to find. If you use stuff that is 304 or 430 inner it won't last more than a few years.

Does anyone know where I can find an adapter for the 5” pipe coming out of the stove to a 6” chimney pipe which is the recommended minimum chimney diameter. Apparently they originally came with one... I bought mine used and we don’t appear to have this, and my google skills are not as good a search they were in high school.