Surface and flue temp on Centuray FW300010.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red450

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2009
Indiana
I just had my stove installed on Friday (first wood stove). The operating (surface) temp never seems to get above 450 on the Rutland thermometer or above 250 on the flue (single wall black pipe). The stove is putting out a good amount of heat using seasoned hardwood. I heated our gas oven up to 450 and tested the thermometer, it read correctly. Are these normal ranges for this stove? I've searched online but only found the installation manual. Maybe I'm being overly cautions since I'm new to wood heat?

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 363
Nice beauty shot, but if this represents the typical load, the stove needs more wood.

Thanks, that was just the test burn just after the install. How much is in a standard load, or rather, how much is too much?

A full load of fuel is roughly to the top of the firebricks. If that doesn't get the stove and flue hotter, then I would suspect the wood is not fully dried.

BeGreen said:
A full load of fuel is roughly to the top of the firebricks. If that doesn't get the stove and flue hotter, then I would suspect the wood is not fully dried.

Thanks again! I'll give that a try on the next cycle and see how it does.

You are also measuring surface temp. If your secondaries are going the stove is operating properly. Surface temp can be thrown off by air movement over the stove, thermometer placement, and heat sinks like kettles placed on top.

Watch for a lively fire coming down from the top.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.