Surge Protectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gutlo

Burning Hunk
Feb 22, 2009
eastern connecticut
Most surge protectors use devices called MOV's to protect against surges. Once an MOV is used, it no longer protects, it just passes current.

If anyone has a deeper knowledge of surge protectors and wishes to share, please do so.

Varistors will protect just one time yes. What do you want to know?

Last edited:
I use a UPS.

UPS’s use MOV’s also for their protection. They just add automatic switching to battery power.

Look into a whole house surge protector. The Mov is designed to last a few years according to what I have read

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Is there a surge protector that has the following features.
1. Has an indicator that the protector has experienced a surge and the MOV is no longer operational.
2. Has a user replaceable MOV?

A brute force approach to surge protection might be to use a variable auto transformer set to 110V.

Pretty sure the whole house protectors have a led for good or no good

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

If you are serious about a whole house protector, I recommend looking at this video http://www.midnitesolar.com/video/videoPlay.php?video_ID=54&videoCat_ID=8. Midnight solar builds them and sells them. I previously had an Intermatic whole house protector and ended up with a dead PV inverter after a utility surge. I took the Intermatic apart afterwards and what I got was an impressive plastic weathertight box with a couple of small MOVs inside. The MOVs in the midnight solat units are about 5 times larger. The larger the MOV, the more current it can conduct. No fancy equipment replacement warranty's like the other guys as they know its basically impossible to collect. Pretty much every solar supplier sells them, one company is Alt E store. If it critical equipment I would consider a whole house SPD and then one on the individual circuit. I have them on two of my solar arrays on the DC input from the arrays as well as one on the whole house

Reactions: FirepotPete