Harmon P43 hums/won't start after plugging into surge protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AHS

Jan 1, 2023
Newton, NJ
We've got a Harmon P43, 7 years old. Plugged it into a surge protector a few days ago and it only buzzes, the blower and auger won't start. Pulled it from the surge protector and plugged directly back into outlet with same result. Now it won't do anything but buzz. This happened last year after a power outage and it just seemed to "fix itself" after a few days of being off and unplugged. That magical solution doesn't seem to be happening this time. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe combustion blower frozen. Unplug the stove. Remove the ash pan, remove the cover for the combustion fan, and try to spin it by hand..

Reactions: AHS and Oregun
I would get a new motor and fan blade to keep on hand. Sounds like it is on its last leg.

I would get a new motor and fan blade to keep on hand. Sounds like it is on its last leg.
Great advice. I bought one last year when the stove died and then revived itself. Turns out the blower completely crapped out yesterday and thankfully I had the new blower and fan on hand.

I almost cried when I started it up and it purred like a stealth fighter instead of the chitty-chitty-bang-bang we’d grown used to over the years.

Reactions: rickwai
My local dealer was surprised when I requested a distribution blower vs the combustion fan when it failed, after 7 years. Just to throw that out there. I have not needed to replace the combustion fan/motor but it will be the first go to during the next repair needed. I do get a random bearing whine occasionally so I assume it will be next.

Reactions: SciGuy
My local dealer was surprised when I requested a distribution blower vs the combustion fan when it failed, after 7 years. Just to throw that out there. I have not needed to replace the combustion fan/motor but it will be the first go to during the next repair needed. I do get a random bearing whine occasionally I so I assume it will be next.
I had my distribution fan replaced on my P43 at 8 years. It was pretty noisy.