surpised by regency 2400 woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario veda

Sep 11, 2010
RICHMOND VA
Well it wasnt the stove that surpised me it was what happened when I was running it....I have had the Regency 2400F for 3 years now and never had a problem ,last night however I started a fire and ran it as normal to appox. 500 degrees , turned the air supply slightly down to get secondary flames and it looked good so I went into living room to watch alittle news .I went back in the den during a commerical to look at stove and it was dark ,no flames just a slight red glow at bottom , so I re-opened the air supply some to try to get it to light again for what seemed like just a minute and whoosh it ignited & flared up inside the stove catching me by surpise....It had a powerful enough force inside stove to blow alittle ash out from around the tightly closed door gasket....To tell the truth it scared the "you know what" out of me.lol.....What I think happened was the wood wasnt as dry as it should be ,causing it it go out even after what looked like a good start up and the gases where building up it the stove and when the air supply was increased it ignited them instantly.????....I quickly checked the chimmey,woodstove,stove pipe inside ,out ,up and down etc ..and didnt see anything to be concerned about,,, ran the damp load of wood on high air input and stove door opened abit just to get it to burn faster and then loaded another load of wood which was dry and it ran perfectly as normal...I was lucky it didnt do any damage.. Question: if a fire goes out it is better to open the door first and THEN open the air supply ??? Thanks for looking

Yup, a bit of a puffback as the wood gases ignited. Opening the door might have been more dangerous. It's better for that puffback to be contained than in your face.

Yup, a bit of a puffback as the wood gases ignited. Opening the door might have been more dangerous. It's better for that puffback to be contained than in your face.
Thank you... I didnt know it was called puffback and I did read the other topic about puffback after I posted my topic. I see it could be caused by a couple of conditions.I havent been on this site in a while it looks better and as in the past I got a answer to my question from you & others and see someone else with a similar topic .This site Rocks.Happy New Year

Seeing a lot of threads on puff back lately . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.