Surprised by Hot Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajhenglander

Dec 24, 2008
Nothern Ohio
The stove has been cruising along ~500 degrees most of the day. Really performing well through this latest cold snap. I only use the stove on the weekends, this is the 3rd weekend using the stove, so obviously I am still learning it.
The right side of the stove is 42 inches from a paneled wall (with insulation behind it) in our basement . I have had a oscillating fan in that corner on low moving the warm air out into the basement and up the stairs into the kitchen and living room. Went to put the fan on med (had been on low) and I leaned against the south basement wall with my bare forearm and the paneled wall was very hot, so much that I had to remove my forearm from it. I immediately moved the fan to in front of the stove and pointed the fan directly at that portion of the wall. The wall cooled in a few minutes. Installation instructions say you can have the side of the stove (if no heat shield) 20 inches from the wall (that's nuts). Just wondering if I sucked all of the cooler air off of that wall and it allowed the heat to get to that wall. I am thinking of either investing in the OEM side heat shields for the stove, or getting a few panels of stove board for that wall.

42" is plenty space. Everyones hot is different. If you had to remove your arm after resting it that does not mean its too hot. For your peace of mind get a thermometer and test the area.

True that everyone's hot is different but for my own peace of mind, if that wall was that hot I'd be doing some changing fast. No matter what the manual says and no matter about the fan I'd simply put up a fireproof wall which is easily done and does not cost a lot to do it either.

Heat shields will also help and might even be a cheaper answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.