surrounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
Helloooooooo out there,

So the wife and I have had our stove in since Feb. and while reading the Jotul manual, we discovered we needed to take off the wooden surround due to how close it is to the stove (jotul 350 - winterport). If I remember right, there are limits on the manual that state how close combustible material could be. Our wooden surround was within those limits so we just took it off for the last bit of last winter, lived with the ugliness of the brick exposed completely and a gap between the brick and wall the fireplace was built into.

Here's the question. Now that we are getting close to the burning season again, god I am ready this year, what are my options other than removing the wood surround and having a gap there. It seems to me I need to find a non-wood surround to be placed around the brick opening. Any suggestions on website or businesses around Eastern CT? My dimensions are 49 3/4 wide and 37 3/4 high (from the outside parts of the brick, not opening of fireplace).

We are expecting our first child and have a huge number of projects we HAVE to finish around the house before the little guy comes into the world so we are completely strapped for cash, I can't just redo the entire face of our fireplace with some extravagant marble surround, but I need to buy some non-combustible surround. Any good recommendations from you pros? If I can figure out how to do the pictures, maybe I will have the wife take a photo with no surround around our fireplace and you all can chime in with some ideas and/or specific websites that you have experience with that would work out great, or perhaps send us in the right direction for really trying to make our family room pop.

Alright, here is a photo, got the wife up. Hope this works, never tried the photos on here before. As you can see with the photo we have painting to do, but we are looking at trying to get a white surround (darn previous owner painted the bricks). There should be one photo without the current surround (ugly), and one with the current surround (ugly as well).

Thanks all,

Bears12th

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 213
Status
Not open for further replies.