Swapping out a wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
I just hung up with a friend who informs me that a 2 year old, never fired Froling boiler is still sitting on the pallet. 12K new being offered for 50%. My current boiler is a Tarm Solo Plus MKII (30) built in Dec08 that I bought used. It's in fine shape, works perfectly does what it should do as in it burns cleanly and provides heat. From a cold start its a PITA to get running but it starts easier when warm. Wife does not run this boiler. To easy to forget something like a blower switch and have the resulting fireball come roaring out into her face. I am also not a gadget freak so while the current boiler is very simple a new boiler also has lots of "stuff" on it that could prevent it's use with a simple part needing replacement.

Am I crazy for thinking that a new boiler replacement and selling my working unit is an attractive idea? Could I even get 3-3500 bucks for my old one?
We are both 61yo in good health. We just retired and have moved full time into the house we built 17 years ago on 14 wooded acres. I have tons invested in wood processing equipment but always thought in 10 more years do I really want to do this or would buying a pellet boiler and fuel be better if my current wood boiler died?

We will always have a wood burning insert in the LR so getting off log wood is not in the cards. We use it on shoulder days, as ambiance, and when it's just lit 'because'.

Obviously I'm looking for real world input.

Reactions: clancey
If your still up for processing wood, I don’t think you’d find a better option. Storage would be required, and a new learning curve, but likely use less wood.
Possibly look to find one in operation .

If your still up for processing wood, I don’t think you’d find a better option. Storage would be required, and a new learning curve, but likely use less wood.
Possibly look to find one in operation .
I have 600 gals of ASME tanks in use now. Only plumbing work is near boiler. Everything else is in place.

My guess is you will never justify it. A fun project to keep busy but my guess is the efficiency difference is minimal. A condensing heat exchanger would be an interesting project.

Depends what aspect your looking at it from, pure efficiency or the lifestyle of wood. I would disagree on the efficiency difference between boilers.., just my 2cents.

Bad Lp I am a little older than you are and my health is not so good. As a matter of fact as I am typing this I am wearing a heart monitor. Heart guy what's to make sure the issues I been dealing with for the last couple years isn't my heart again. I keep thinking what I am going to do If my Garn craps out again. Do I fix it again, replace it with something else or just go back to propane and be done with it. If that new boiler was in my area I would probably pick it up to have around if my Garn leaks again. In your case what you have has been working with no issue and probably will run until your done with wood. But if you have six grand laying around not doing anything and want a project go for it. Getting older and having new toys is what it is about. I have no idea in your area what your old one is worth in my area there's very little wood boiler stuff around.

Reactions: sloeffle
My problem is I will probably be building a new house in the next few years and have pretty well decided its going to be zero net energy or meeting Passive House performance standards. That decision is partially driven that I may not be that motivated to deal with wood in 20 years or so.

In either case despite similar climate zones as yours my heating need is going to be minimal. I have the "older brother" of your Tarm 30, a Tarm 40 solo plus that I picked up lightly used last fall before the run up in heating oil prices. Its just a mismatch with the future house except that the house may be low energy consumer but the garage will no doubt be a big user but intermittent. Unless I want to heat the garage 24/7 (definitely not) then I am looking at installing the boiler in a heated space like the basement but that can really screw up energy usage as the flue is a big hole in thermal envelope. The alternative is buying lots of glycol but not viable with storage.

My Burnham wood boiler still runs and the way its built I do not see it failing anytime soon. I really do not know if its plus or minus to selling the current house and expect dropping in a much newer Tarm is not going to really impact selling the home. Therefore barring the Burnham failing its probably not going in the new house.

Can’t really help with your decision but if you pass on the boiler I would be interested in the new Froling your friend has.

Here is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I would let it pass for a couple of reasons. First, I think you may never get your money out of the difference in efficiency between the 2. I also think you will struggle to sell your current 12 year old boiler for anything much more than for scrap prices, even though it is worth much more than that to you. Second, I like things simple, ie no electronics to fail that may or may not be available in the future. Just my thoughts, but the direction the world seems to be heading, I really dont like to own anything that I can not fix myself. Good luck in your decision

Bad Lp I am a little older than you are and my health is not so good. As a matter of fact as I am typing this I am wearing a heart monitor. Heart guy what's to make sure the issues I been dealing with for the last couple years isn't my heart again. I keep thinking what I am going to do If my Garn craps out again. Do I fix it again, replace it with something else or just go back to propane and be done with it. If that new boiler was in my area I would probably pick it up to have around if my Garn leaks again. In your case what you have has been working with no issue and probably will run until your done with wood. But if you have six grand laying around not doing anything and want a project go for it. Getting older and having new toys is what it is about. I have no idea in your area what your old one is worth in my area there's very little wood boiler stuff around.
With your health conditions I would make it much easier on yourself and invest in a whole house generator and have a wood or pellet stove for an emergency and I believe your health would improve as well old mrs clancey

I just hung up with a friend who informs me that a 2 year old, never fired Froling boiler is still sitting on the pallet. 12K new being offered for 50%. My current boiler is a Tarm Solo Plus MKII (30) built in Dec08 that I bought used. It's in fine shape, works perfectly does what it should do as in it burns cleanly and provides heat. From a cold start its a PITA to get running but it starts easier when warm. Wife does not run this boiler. To easy to forget something like a blower switch and have the resulting fireball come roaring out into her face. I am also not a gadget freak so while the current boiler is very simple a new boiler also has lots of "stuff" on it that could prevent it's use with a simple part needing replacement.

Am I crazy for thinking that a new boiler replacement and selling my working unit is an attractive idea? Could I even get 3-3500 bucks for my old one?
We are both 61yo in good health. We just retired and have moved full time into the house we built 17 years ago on 14 wooded acres. I have tons invested in wood processing equipment but always thought in 10 more years do I really want to do this or would buying a pellet boiler and fuel be better if my current wood boiler died?

We will always have a wood burning insert in the LR so getting off log wood is not in the cards. We use it on shoulder days, as ambiance, and when it's just lit 'because'.

Obviously I'm looking for real world input.
At 61 I be looking for a much easier way to heat your home and have just a stove backup but its a lot of work at 61 to do what you have to do to keep it in operation and that insert is a nice emergency back up as well.. old mrs clancey

Over the years I have seen a lot of used boilers for sale and many of them great deals. My guess is lots of folks who have not installed boilers really want them in concept but if they are going to actually go through with it they want a new boiler, thus my guess is there will be lot of "tire kickers" before finding someone with cash in hand and the capability to move and install.

Many think that they got a great deal on a boiler system but do not realize they need storage for a gasifier so they still have to put a out a few thousand for storage or be real handy with an arc welder, have space for a big propane tank and a source of a tank. I got mine for free and had the time initially to set it up without storage. If it didnt work out it was a time suck but not a lot of out of pocket. It required a lot of rigging to get out of the place it was in and would require more rigging to get into my basement as its in excess of 1000 pounds. Not many DIYs have that capability reliably. if you sit it on a pallet in the driveway, make sure you get cash before they load it.

At 61 I be looking for a much easier way to heat your home and have just a stove backup but its a lot of work at 61 to do what you have to do to keep it in operation and that insert is a nice emergency back up as well.. old mrs clancey
Approaching 59 here and don't have any plans of taking things easy anytime soon.
Cutting and processing 8 cords a year is in the plans for at least another 20 years as long as i am still upright.
It may get a little easyer as my future plans include getting into selling firewood,then my wood will be a byproduct of the business.