Sweep results Jotul insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Swept chimney today for end of season. I swept mid season as well. Perhaps a cup or two of dry coffee like soot mixed with a tiny bit of shiny bits( likely from up top). Stove is jotul rockland- 7 yrs old, 13 ft or so of insulated heavy wall liner. Wood about 1.5 yrs old/ variety of hardwood.
For jotul insert owners, you know that maneuvering the baffles and air tubes is a PITA, as a reminder the tubes need to go in the same direction ( the notch that holds tubes to cast baffle is slightly off center). I spent a lot of time and aggravation trying to put these back 2 tubes back in in the wrong direction. I don’t know why they are like this.
I used the soot eater from top-down. Works well for last few yrs but I’d like to buy a traditional brush and poles. The only poly brush I usually see is the one that is VERY stiff and I would prefer to not use that. I’ve heard that pro brushes are available in softer varieties. Can anyone recommend a soft brush I can buy? I really only need the soft brush to knock down the light soot I get in the liner.
Thanks

Last edited: