Sweeping Oslo V3 from bottom? No clean-out T.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tithis

Jul 30, 2020
Western Mass
Was looking at buying a soot eater to sweep our liner after our first season with our V3 Oslo. As big as our hearth was there was simply no way to install a cleanout tee at the bottom and keep the right clearances.

With the catalytic combuster in place I obviously can't go straight from inside the stove and will need to remove the top plate, but even then the rod would have to turn more than 90 degrees to go up the stove pipe and into the liner.

So options I see.
  1. Remove stove top-plate, try cleaning with combuster in place
  2. Remove stove top-plate and combuster, making the turn > 90 degrees
  3. Remove piece of stove pipe and go directly into the liner, clean stove pipe separately
  4. Dig out the werner ladder + stabilizer and try going top-down (obviously least preferred)

Is it top vented? A pic of your setup might help. Do you know if there are any gaskets around the combustor?

Part of me thinks pulling the top, the combustor and the air chamber out the top then Setting the top back on and going in the door might work. But I’m really just guessing.

Was looking at buying a soot eater to sweep our liner after our first season with our V3 Oslo. As big as our hearth was there was simply no way to install a cleanout tee at the bottom and keep the right clearances.

With the catalytic combuster in place I obviously can't go straight from inside the stove and will need to remove the top plate, but even then the rod would have to turn more than 90 degrees to go up the stove pipe and into the liner.

So options I see.
  1. Remove stove top-plate, try cleaning with combuster in place
  2. Remove stove top-plate and combuster, making the turn > 90 degrees
  3. Remove piece of stove pipe and go directly into the liner, clean stove pipe separately
  4. Dig out the werner ladder + stabilizer and try going top-down (obviously least preferred)
I’d call a pro and watch how they do it. Then repeat if felt up to it.

Yeah, its top vented.

Manual shows an insulation panel on top of the catalyst with its own gasket, and then under it the catayst has two expansion gaskets on either side.

Stove.jpg

Number 3 would be best.

Don’t sweep down into the stove you’d have to clean all the creosote out of the stove. If you did you’d have to pull the pipe and or top.

I wouldn’t want to mess with any combustor gaskets each year.

Nice install had to look three times for the mantel heat shield.