Sweet deal on a Freedom Bay!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I picked up this Lopi on the marketplace for $240! It needed some cleaning up to say the least... we were having lots of cold air infiltration, so I insulated around the box with roxul and above the block off plate. It’s doing a nice job!

Attachments

• 7E433F96-1DBF-470C-B155-691FC7505D63.jpeg
    7E433F96-1DBF-470C-B155-691FC7505D63.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 9210421F-C20D-4148-939C-5B0F543B8E5D.jpeg
    9210421F-C20D-4148-939C-5B0F543B8E5D.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 276
  • 2D0A78AA-D943-4632-A741-A1149ECE2978.jpeg
    2D0A78AA-D943-4632-A741-A1149ECE2978.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 245
Looks nice in the new house! Was there anything in the fireplace before you put the freedom in there?

I looked at a freedom bay at your shop before I bought the Alderlea, I could not meet the mantel clearances for the Lopi and the wife is not to crazy about mantel shields.

It was an open fire for a while, then a 24” vent free gas log.

Reactions: redktmrider
That's a very sweet deal and you got one with full brass. Is this the soapstone lined fireplace or another one?

PS: Looks like it's time to update the signature once again.

That's a very sweet deal and you got one with full brass. Is this the soapstone lined fireplace or another one?

PS: Looks like it's time to update the signature once again.
No soapstone. I moved a few months back, starting over again...
This is an older one too, solid brass door, no overlay.

Yes, I noticed the solid brass right away. Looks to be in nice condition too.

Yes, I noticed the solid brass right away. Looks to be in nice condition too.
The paint wasn’t even burned off the secondary air manifold. It was just dirty and a little beat up.

That's a big insert. This is the first time I have seen it in a setting where it doesn't dominate the room. Looks great in that massive stone wall.

Reactions: webby3650
That's a big insert. This is the first time I have seen it in a setting where it doesn't dominate the room. Looks great in that massive stone wall.
Thanks, it’s a good fit. It wasn’t fun to reline by myself. It’s the first time I’ve done a Freedom Bay with no help. It’s done though!

When I bought my current home it came with the exact same stove. I still remember the screech that it made when working the bypass and adjusting the intake. The baffle was not fragile ceramic but bricks and steel. My install was just a short hunk of pipe dumped into the masonry chimney above the damper. Later I installed a liner.

You could fit a lot of wood in it.

When I bought my current home it came with the exact same stove. I still remember the screech that it made when working the bypass and adjusting the intake. The baffle was not fragile ceramic but bricks and steel. My install was just a short hunk of pipe dumped into the masonry chimney above the damper. Later I installed a liner.

You could fit a lot of wood in it.
The air control is a few pieces of steel with some stiff springs between them that are sandwiched under the firebox. A set screw allows you to remove the whole assembly for cleaning and lube.
The bypass rod will screech on the stovetop adaptor or elbow. The notch needs to be made in such a way that the rod doesn’t contact the adaptor. It takes some work to get it in the right spot.

Reactions: Highbeam