Swiss Ice Storm Pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I'm going with the frozen spray theory myself. Interesting, even artistic, photos however; thanks for the link.

Northern NH Mike said:
I'm going with the frozen spray theory myself.

Me too.

uh honey, where's the ice scraper?

I don't think it is a theory. Look at the shots that show across the street or beyond; not a shred of ice. Furthermore the formations have the classic structure of windblown sea or lake spray.

That doesn't take away from the neatness of the pictures.

Looks like they had a pretty big and cold wind storm blowing across Lake Geneva in 2005 and 2007. It sculpt these great ice formations with frozen lake water. Here's a video:

We've seen that a couple times here in Evian, on the south side of Lake Geneva, too. Never park by the lake during the winter! When the wind blows out of the north, known by the locals as the "bise," the spray coats everything in sight. Boats have been lost in the harbor because of the ice accumulation. The pictures in the original post come from a village just to the east of Geneva, on the north side of the lake. Unusual to have a southernly wind cold enough to form that much ice. The lake itself never freezes, at least to my knowledge. For as large as the lake is and how it's tucked inbetween a couple of mountain ranges, I'm constantly surprised at how calm it can be. However, when the wind kicks up, it's a whole different monster. Here are a couple of photos of the lake during a bise (but not cold enough to freeze).

DSC02099_1024x768.jpg

DSC02097_1024x768.jpg

And one shot of the lake when it's calm.

DSC02469_576x768.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.