T-Snout question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Louis

Oct 21, 2018
Ocean County, NJ
When installing the T snout, does the connection by tightening the band clamp make a tight enough seal that I will not need to worry about gas/smoke leakage? or do some installers use a sealant to seal the snout to the tee body after the clamp is tightened?

Also, when the clean out is a few feet lower then where the T snout will sit, what are the most common practices for this set up?

1. Cap the t snout with provided bottom cap, and when cleaning just vacuum out the t body through thimble hole?
2. add additional lining to the clean out area and add a second t body, sealing the bottom of this t body. If this is the preferred method, how do you seal the t body opening where you will able to clean out the chimney contaminates from a clean/sweep?

When installing the T snout, does the connection by tightening the band clamp make a tight enough seal that I will not need to worry about gas/smoke leakage? or do some installers use a sealant to seal the snout to the tee body after the clamp is tightened?

Also, when the clean out is a few feet lower then where the T snout will sit, what are the most common practices for this set up?

1. Cap the t snout with provided bottom cap, and when cleaning just vacuum out the t body through thimble hole?
2. add additional lining to the clean out area and add a second t body, sealing the bottom of this t body. If this is the preferred method, how do you seal the t body opening where you will able to clean out the chimney contaminates from a clean/sweep?
If it is a high quality tee body and snout no sealant is needed. And really nothing will hold up there anyway. I always extend down to the cleanout and use another tee there.

Reactions: Louis