taking the cost out of blockoff plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I recently have read a few posts about blockoff plates and potential cost vs. performance. I am reinstalling a free standing cast stove into a fireplace heart. The plate is a no-brainer for me and will be installed. Not being a metal guy (more woodworker) and not having metal fab tools I called a local steel shop.

The plate I need is 12"x31 1/4" and I wanted a 6 1/4" hole punched in the middle to accept the liner. Since I didn't need any bending (but I'm guessing the cost would not have been much more with bends) the steel shop will size a piece of 1/16" plate steel and punch the hole in it for $30. I thought that was very fair since Lowes wanted $60 for enough steel and I would have to fab it.

The next problem was kaowool. I know I wanted it but didn't need to order a 25' roll. I called a local industrial insulation place and they will sell me the exact amount for $10 cash out of the office.

I doubt anyone would not install a plate for $40. Granted my install is relatively easy. Even if it was hard it is going in.

I just thought maybe somebody could use this info to find the materials they need a little cheaper.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.