Talk About Biting The Hair Of The Dog..... Geezzzz !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
So.

I woke up to -5F this AM, 69F inside. Up to 74F within an hour.

How's youse guys doing?

woke up to -5F this AM, 69F inside. Up to 74F within an hour. How's youse guys doing?
Not that well in this cold wind, with uninsulated walls and more than a few air leaks. :oops: Takes a few hours to move room temp back up. Down to about 66 in the morning, but today hit 70 with outside temps in the upper 20s and not much wind. We're going back into the deep freeze again, though. Hope it's not too windy, or it'll be time to break out heavier wool socks than I'm already wearing.;hm

Got home from 9 hrs at work and house was 62 and that was only because i had the furnace set so it didnt drop any lower. I rekindled the stove in the den and then went down and fired up the wood furnace for the first time this year, should be 100 degrees in here by bed time :)
8 degrees outside now, low is supposed to be -8 at some point tonight.. No wind so it really doesnt feel that bad as long as your not out there for any amount of time. I hate the slog thru jan & feb with a passion, only good thing about it is burning wood and sitting by a fire.

Reactions: fespo
Woodstove is keeping up, but temps in the house are now in the low 70s, there is more frequent loading and the oil boiler has kicked on a few times (most often at night).

I've also discovered more than a few drafts coming in around some doors and windows.

hate the slog thru jan & feb with a passion, only good thing about it is burning wood and sitting by a fire.
I lived in various places in the Milw. area for thirty years, but Appleton is a whole 'nother zone of cold! :oops:

-14 this morning . Furnace ran during the night , but not as much if I hadn't had the wood stove going . Moved coals around and started her back up . Back to being mid 70s in the house . Gotta say though , this is the longest I have had to keep the stove pumping hard and have been chewing wood up pretty quick .

Reactions: Allagash350
Single digits here wind has picked up a little. Not as cold as some of u guys had but still not a fan. House is still in the mid seventies. Keeping warm without the furnace but wood consumption is up, but that is expected. the coming week is not looking much better, I'm glad I loaded the garage back up with a ton of locust. Everyone stay warm. Weather guy I agree with u nothing better than sleeping in front of a stove. Especially when outside all day in these temps.

Temp right now:
Screenshot_20171230-090349.png

Heres the weekend temps predicted:
Screenshot_20171230-090419.png

Been a rough past few days with the highest high barely breaking single digits above 0. Love the wood heat when temps are like this! House has been 72-74 with the furnace kicking on in the mornings for a bit until the stove gets rockin.

Brrrrr.

Coldest ever in my life was in Portage, WI.

Woke up to 66F in the house 26F outside. We have not had a fire for over 36 hours and do not have the heat pump turned on. 66F is a little on the chilly side, but with a sweat shirt, sweat pants and socks on it is actually quite nice. Going to be out gathering kindling this afternoon, so I do not need it it raging hot right now. Temps are supposed to get down into the teens tomorrow night so we will probably fire a shoulder burn tonight and maybe run another tiny shoulder off the coals in the AM Sunday. I am really hoping to go on a 24/7 stretch this upcoming week, but that is probably wishful thinking. Once it gets up to 78F in here the stove will go cold for at least 24 hours before we get to light it again. The R-65 insulation and tons of thermal mass works too good sometimes. The upside is we heat a 2100 sqft house all fall, winter and spring on 1/2 a cord.

Reactions: Sconnie Burner
it was -14F this morning when i went in to work, it was 76F in the house, wife, kid, and dogs were all sleeping and warm.

Reactions: Woody Stover
63%
SUN

DEC 31 Sunny
5°-13°
0%
NW 13 mph 55%
MON

JAN 1 Sunny
4°-12°
0%
NW 10 mph 54%
TUE

JAN 2 Mostly Sunny
5°-4°
0%
WNW 8 mph 56%
WED

JAN 3 Partly Cloudy
20°4°
10%
SW 5 mph 66%
THU

JAN 4 Snow
22°2°
70%
N 13 mph 75%
FRI

JAN 5 AM Snow Showers
4°-18°
40%
NW 13 mph 60%
SAT

JAN 6 Partly Cloudy
-2°-15°
10%
WNW 9 mph 60%
SUN

JAN 7 Mostly Sunny
6°-4°
0%
WNW 5 mph

Not as bad as some , but still pretty darn cold . Lol , 2 days in the 20s will feel like summer

We are going to be in single digits at night in Central Virginia. This is very cold for this time of year. We are in the mid to low 70s in the house and very comfortable.

I love high ceilings but sometimes think about how much warmer we would be with standard height ceilings.

I love high ceilings but sometimes think about how much warmer we would be with standard height ceilings.

We live in a house built to be air conditioned, not heated, but running ceiling fans in reverse at low speed helps in some situations. Do you have that option?

I’m expecting to feel cold in the new year when the weather service has warned that temperatures may stay below freezing for more than thirty-six hours. (Even I laughed.) I’ll be missing my stove back there in my beloved Old Dominion, though.

We live in a house built to be air conditioned, not heated, but running ceiling fans in reverse at low speed helps in some situations. Do you have that option?

I’m expecting to feel cold in the new year when the weather service has warned that temperatures may stay below freezing for more than thirty-six hours. (Even I laughed.) I’ll be missing my stove back there in my beloved Old Dominion, though.
The two ceiling fans in our main room with the stove only run in the forward direction. This actually helps some though by bringing that hot layer down and mixing it with the cooler air.

Reactions: redktmrider and Dix
I have had a couple of days of the temps not getting much over zero. If the winds are cranking and the suns not out my storage temps are borderline to meet the heat demand from the radiators so the zones have to run near continuously. I am pretty much running the wood boiler once in the evening and once in the morning for shorter runs as the storage temp is higher. Once I start running high temp water through the radiators the zones shut off. Sure I could add in more radiant emitters to put more heat out at lower temps but hard to justify.

They say its 17 F here although my little weather station says a bit warmer. The house was gaining solar load so surprisingly easy to keep comfortable but now the clouds are covering and temp is dropping. The Island gets a little break vs the mainland temp wise but still supposed to be single digits overnight.

Locust with some oak to get thing the fire rolling quicker. Locust coals throw heat forever. but still denting the wood supply.

Reactions: Dix
Those clouds rolled in quick, J.... ran out to Best Yet after the farm (4 layers + :mad: ) and coming home saw them rolling in..

Both stoves cranking & a space heater running in farthest part of lower level (home of previously frozen pipes :confused: ).

I go back to work Tuesday, loading up the back landing today & tomorrow for insurance.

Reactions: jatoxico
Those clouds rolled in quick, J.... ran out to Best Yet after the farm (4 layers + :mad: ) and coming home saw them rolling in..

Both stoves cranking & a space heater running in farthest part of lower level (home of previously frozen pipes :confused: ).

I go back to work Tuesday, loading up the back landing today & tomorrow for insurance.

Stove has trouble raising temp much above 71-72 when the temps drop into the low teens. I could use the extra firepower you have with this cold.

Stove has trouble raising temp much above 71-72 when the temps drop into the low teens. I could use the extra firepower you have with this cold.

I fixed the OB last year. My t stat is @ 65F, and so is lower level. I'm not playing with this. I'd rather pay the oil man than the plumber (no offense to plumbers :cool: ).

Reactions: Woody Stover
I fixed the OB last year. My t stat is @ 65F, and so is lower level. I'm not playing with this. I'd rather pay the oil man than the plumber (no offense to plumbers :cool: ).
Said many times that I don't mind letting the oil burner kick on and with these temps it's definitely good to cycle it.

-5 this morning, and the house was 70. Hasn't dipped below 69, but I can't get it above 73 either. We've been getting lake effect snow for over a week now. Not much at a time, but its about knee deep at the moment. Had to blow about 6" this afternoon after I got home from work. This is the first real cold snap I've been in the house for, so I'm really happy the stove is keeping up. I had some concerns it wouldn't and I've have to run the boiler. I'd imagine if we get some -20 nights, that may become reality.

About 13 in my neck of the woods and close to 0 with wind chills. My HI300 usually heats my whole house really well and efficiently when it's in the low 30s but now it's chewing thru wood just trying to keep up. Problem is keeping it at cruising temps (450 - 500) long enough. With these low temps outside the firebox just loses heat faster. I do have a well insulated house with new windows and a brand new roof last year so that is a big help. But I am amazed how much a 20 degree drop in temps make it sooo much harder to keep up:(