Tariff Wars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wooduser

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2018
seattle, wa
Are the tariffs on steel having an affect on price, with stoves shipped into the United States, such as from Canada?

If they haven't, are they likely to? Any idea how that might affect product availability and competition between American and Canadian manufacturers?

Are the tariffs on steel having an affect on price, with stoves shipped into the United States, such as from Canada?

If they haven't, are they likely to? Any idea how that might affect product availability and competition between American and Canadian manufacturers?
They are having an effect on all steel products even ones made here with amarican steel. Like it or not it is a glodal market and global changes effect domestic prices as well.

Reactions: SpaceBus
How much? And who is being advantaged or disadvantaged?
We have seen increases as much as 20%. And the end user is being disadvantaged.

this could become very political, So Im not going to comment. Id like to

Reactions: bholler
I have a BBQ smoker. A backyard one, not a trailer, and even that's 400+ pounds. I imagine it's hard being in the business of making smokers these days, too.

Last edited:
Steel changes fast. The "Dorothy" furnace in Duquesne my father worked at won an industry award in December '83 and was slated to be closed 5 months later. Chipped ham sammiches....

tariffs- ink wasn't even on the paper yet and steel prices jumped 10-15% - similar to petroleum products somebody sneezes in the mid east and fuel prices jump. If they would do away with futures trading likely would not see this. Was a time when that didn't exist- things were not so volatile.

Reactions: bholler
China removes tariffs on yet another 2 million metric tons of Soy Beans. HUGE win for the American Farmer! Media silent! So it appears the threat of tariffs can have positive results for the us. To all the tariff naysayers ,tariffs are not the end goal but the bargaining chip .

I have a BBQ smoker. A backyard one, not a trailer, and even that's 400+ pounds. I imagine it's hard being in the business of making smokers these days, too.
I want one of those!:mad:

China removes tariffs on yet another 2 million metric tons of Soy Beans. HUGE win for the American Farmer! Media silent! So it appears the threat of tariffs can have positive results for the us. To all the tariff naysayers ,tariffs are not the end goal but the bargaining chip .
I hope it works out in our favor and goes against historical trends.

… I want one of those!:mad:

It's a Pitt's & Spitt's U2436. Got it in 2009 off the classifieds at thesmokering.com, barely used, for 1/3 the price of new. Looks like it was only used a few times. Person was having a house built and was putting in a stone backyard BBQ.

Check out the classidfieds there. I have other BBQ web sites bookmarked, too. let me see if they also have classifieds.

Last edited:
Even though Europe has been sanctioned by the WTO for Subsidizing airbus they still wont lower their tariffs defying the courts they agreed to comply with. Most other countries play dirty when it comes to trade as there is so much to profit from by cheating. Been dumping on us for too long.

They are having an effect on all steel products even ones made here with amarican steel. Like it or not it is a glodal market and global changes effect domestic prices as well.

I'm not seeing it.
Prices seem to be a speculation blip, then business as usual.
What am I missing.

Steel import price index

Steel price index charts search

Individual price index charts by catagory

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
The place where I bought a skid plate from has halted production for now due to raw material costs.

Due to the US tariffs on aluminum and steel, the price we must pay for those materials has moved far too high to allow us to produce new skid plates in the near future. We are hoping that the tariffs get lifted soon but if that doesn't happen it will be uneconomical to run more skid plates until new US aluminum and steel mills come online sometime in 2020. If you see your car listed to the left we still have skid plates in stock for those cars.

Lots of infrastructure projects are dealing with cost overruns due to the tariffs.

And now more tariffs are going into effect. So far they have cost the American taxpayers about $80 billion.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Lots of infrastructure projects are dealing with cost overruns due to the tariffs.

And now more tariffs are going into effect. So far they have cost the American taxpayers about $80 billion.
That's one perspective from a news organization.
Or another:

Good article, so was the conservative WSJ article. The architect article is mostly theoretical and ends up saying - stayed tuned. It touches on two things that large infrastructure projects may experience. In reality there are also delays and uncertainty due to escalating tariffs which have boosted costs considerably in addition to the tariff costs. The actual result is infrastructure costs are coming in much higher.

Big infrastructure projects are still going on with the costs passed along, often to the taxpayer. Unfortunately the additional costs are not so easily absorbed by small businesses. Many are hurting and will be hurt more by the Oct. and Dec. increases. That is not good. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy.

The guy that is dieselgeek.com, above, is a small business. No place for him to absorb a tariff of a raw material, so he had to suspend offering a product. His skid plates were really good, too. Liked it a lot.

I just noticed … has your title always been "Mooderator," not Moderator? :)

Where I work, we use many 1000s of tons per year of sheet and plate steel, aluminum, stainless, galvanized, galvanneal, in many different grades thicknesses and finishes. What I'm seeing is current prices paid for incoming raw stock have stayed steady or gone down slightly from a year ago, but not up. Looking at the commodity charts above, I would have to agree with those. As far as other prices for goods coming in from abroad, I don't have enough contact with to comment.