Tarm Biomass Is Now An Effecta Dealer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDolz

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2015
Burlington, CT
Great news for Effecta owners in the US! The folks in Sweden have treated me great but I am excited to know that a great company like Tarm Biomass will now be a Dealer for Effecta. My understanding is that they will be carrying a full line of parts as well.

This is great news; I havent really minded dealing with the company direct but it sure will save on the lag time for shipping and email respsonses etc

Thanks for sharing

I think it comes down to that Tarm Biomass does not appear to sell new Tarm equipment anymore. They pretty well built the Tarm business in the US and support older Tarm equipment but I believe they parted ways when Tarm started having product built in Eastern Europe. Its was probably a bit painful but I expect they needed to find a new suppliers to make sure that products they sold in the future are as good as the stuff they sold in the past. Good to hear that folks have had good experience with the new line. I also expect that the high US dollar relative to Euro helps. High quality boilers that meet EPA specs arent cheap and anything that can get that price down in the US is plus.

I think it comes down to that Tarm Biomass does not appear to sell new Tarm equipment anymore. They pretty well built the Tarm business in the US and support older Tarm equipment but I believe they parted ways when Tarm started having product built in Eastern Europe. Its was probably a bit painful but I expect they needed to find a new suppliers to make sure that products they sold in the future are as good as the stuff they sold in the past. Good to hear that folks have had good experience with the new line. I also expect that the high US dollar relative to Euro helps. High quality boilers that meet EPA specs arent cheap and anything that can get that price down in the US is plus.
I am definitely happy with the boiler and the support that I have received from Effecta. Having the folks in NH to support and supply is a great bonus. If you are ever down in CT stop by and I would be happy to show it to you, I am always interested to hear opinions from folks that have experience with other units.

So who is selling new Tarm stuff then?

I have no idea who sells new Tarm products in the US, I keep an eye on the website and they have no Tarm product listed and haven't for awhile. When I search for US dealers, I keep getting directed to the woodboiler.com website which is owned by our friends in Orford NH. As stated they do appear to be supporting old Tarm product which is important to all the units they sold in the past but I haven't seen any new Tarm product for awhile. Realistically companies change and perhaps Tarm is not what it once was or just have decided they don't want the hassle to sell in the US. I am glad that the folks in Orford are keeping up with the US market and figuring out what the best product they can see is, whether its painted red or blue who cares as long as they can back up what they sell.

In general with cheap oil and natural gas, selling home wood heating systems that can cost over 20 K installed is tough market. NH has heavy subsidies and its still a tough sell. Mass is talking about allowing themal RECs for wood heat and that might help things but expect it not a great time to be selling high volumes of new equipment.

So who is selling new Tarm stuff then?

Tarm Biomass is doing parts. I spoke with Chris FTF in Orford and he stated that they will continue to support Tarm because he has a lot of customers out there. The new facility is HUGE and there is a lot of space for parts. In fact when I asked about the electronic panel on my boiler being available he said that there are not a lot of them left out there so I bought a spare while I could.
Refractory parts are not an issue and will be available for many years to come. Bought door gaskets a couple of months ago and forgot to order a locking pin for the loading door. (I'm an idiot)

These guys really are a class act. I was torn between them and Varn when looking at new stuff but my boiler became available used at considerable savings. Sure I spent a bunch of money on tanks and a few parts but I've called them several times as did my boiler tech and they have been 100% responsive.

Any idea on how much the door locking pins for the solo plus would be?

Any idea on how much the door locking pins for the solo plus would be?

Don't know but I can't imagine they are that expensive. I haven't looked closely as to how they come out but if they were hardened they wouldn't wear out.

There are lot of parallels between the folks in Orford and the "Monitor Man"
http://www.pressherald.com/2015/09/28/when-temperatures-fall-mainers-call-in-the-monitor-man/

He a friend of the family and is now officially in his seventies. The big difference is unlike Tarm that limited the number of distributors and installers, Monitor would sell them to anyone with a van. All sorts of outfits popped up to install them and then disappeared when they needed service.

Reactions: JohnDolz
There are lot of parallels between the folks in Orford and the "Monitor Man"
http://www.pressherald.com/2015/09/28/when-temperatures-fall-mainers-call-in-the-monitor-man/

He a friend of the family and is now officially in his seventies. The big difference is unlike Tarm that limited the number of distributors and installers, Monitor would sell them to anyone with a van. All sorts of outfits popped up to install them and then disappeared when they needed service.

Have a friend in Ft Kent who was heating his 2 car garage (more like the snowmobile repair shop) rather nicely with one. It had us working in tee shirts while outside was -20.

I have known many people who started up with Kerosuns and graduated to Monitors. Hard to beat but definitely have fallen out of favor.

Hi All,

yes, Tarm Biomass is now the sole US distributor for the Effecta Smart 40 and Smart 55 wood gasification boilers - look for a banner ad soon! We will be stocking boilers and parts and providing tech support beginning in mid-December. The boilers will be sold directly to end users and through our dealer network. We are very pleased to have established this relationship and we are happy to offer another great wood boiler line.

New HS Tarm boilers are no longer available in the US from any source. The quality of Tarm boilers was, and is, as good as ever. We are no longer able to offer HS Tarm boilers because they do not have an EPA certified boiler available (this does not mean that the boilers would not pass the test, just that they have never been tested). We still have a strong relationship with HS Tarm in Denmark and will continue to provide parts and tech support for their boilers for many, many years to come.

Thanks for all the interest and the kind words - wishing a happy and wood-warmed Thanksgiving to everyone! Chris