Tarm flue temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDogg

Dec 1, 2009
Central Mass
I have a new tarm solo plus 40, been running it for about 6 weeks now. My wood is split pretty small and dry and is mostly oak, maple and cherry. The boiler has a digital flue box temperature gauge and it never seems to get about 300 or so. Ive seen it up to 330 one time but that was it. Ive been told that the flue gas is probably 100 or so degrees higher than what the gauge is saying. I havent installed a flue probe thermometer yet to check this but does anyone have both a probe thermo and the digital gauge? I am curious if this is running hot enough. I dont want any creosote problems in the middle of winter. Other than that everything seems to be running good and heating my house very well.

Is the digital sensor attached to the stove pipe like the magnetic thermometers? I've read on the forum that the magnetic ones will read about half what the probe type do. My stack temps are usually between 400 and 600. It will get higher when the heat exchange tubes need to be cleaned. I had it up to 800 once last year and it kind of freaked me out.

Ive been told that the temperature that is on the gauge is coming from inside the smoke box before it leaves the boiler and heads up the flue.

My flue thermometer usually reads ~400 degrees max. When it hits 500 it's time to clean the tubes.

Squeezle Bob said:
My flue thermometer usually reads ~400 degrees max. When it hits 500 it's time to clean the tubes.

Are you using the turbulators? I've read here that they will bring the stack temps down quite a bit, but Tarm says not to use them if you don't have storage, which I don't.

They don't have your flue so they put it close. One would think it would still read the flue gas temp.

Is the digital stack temp gizmo something new they are shipping with the Tarm? I bought a Solo 30 (Scandtec version) last year and it didn't come with one. Maybe the installer added it?

The digital stack temp is on the newer versions of the solo plus, I bought mine in July of 09', it flashes between the water temp and the flue gas temp. But supposedly its not an accurate temperature of the flue gas since its not directly in the middle of the stack, but more towards the side of the smoke box, I need to get a probe theremometer to see what the difference is, just havent gotten one yet. I was just hoping someone out there had the digital version like myself and also had a probe so they could tell me what the difference in temperature readouts is.

JD - the real question is whether you are getting good gasification? I'm in the "set it and forget it" secondary air control, with the control in the middle. I never move it. If you are getting good gasification, note the flue temp reading range that sustains good gasification, and that's likely where it should be and good guide for ongoing performance.

JayDogg said:
The digital stack temp is on the newer versions of the solo plus, I bought mine in July of 09', it flashes between the water temp and the flue gas temp. But supposedly its not an accurate temperature of the flue gas since its not directly in the middle of the stack, but more towards the side of the smoke box, I need to get a probe theremometer to see what the difference is, just havent gotten one yet. I was just hoping someone out there had the digital version like myself and also had a probe so they could tell me what the difference in temperature readouts is.

My probe thermometer reads about 400, any higher, time to clean(about every 2 weeks in the heart of winter). if this is a surface type of thermometer add at least 100 degrees? If so, sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.