Tea Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
I was just wondering how many of you all out there have a cast iron tea pot on the stove? I have one, its no antique but it works. I put wax cubes in the water, makes the house smell good, and moisture in the air. I wouldnt use a really old one for this, but mine is ok. Just wondering if anyone else does this?

I had cast for years. Switched it out for a copper one this year. The cast was too big when I went to a smaller stove.
I put some oils or vanilla extract in the water. When I had the cast iron one I could open the top and clean it, so I would sometimes stew apples and orange slices and add some cinnamon in the water. Just don’t run out of water unless you like the smell of burned orange peels.

Reactions: Ashful
My wife gave me the idea of the wax cubes.. I dont plan on ever making tea or anything in it. Shes cleans it out like once a month or two, and I refill the water in it every few hours. Seems to help with static electricity somehow. Never been shocked since I started doing this. I gonna try the vanilla trick you said, sounds like a plan!

We have soapstone stove so using a soapstone steamer. The steamer was seasoned in our conventional oven according to manufacturer's directions. I usually put cinnamon sticks in it. The water in the steamer doesn't actually ever steam, as it never gets that hot, but I do have to add water to it almost daily when we are burning our stove. We also have a humidifier in the room about 20 ft away across the room from the stove. We add water to that daily. It really helps with the static and dry eyes. If we had a different surface on our stove other than soapstone I would have gotten this cast iron dragon steamer. I think it would be so cool to see the steam coming out of the nostrils...

steamer.jpg aooooooooo.jpg

Last edited:
That dragon is sweet. Id say it doesnt matter what youre using other than how they look. If it has holes and water, and can take the heat, go for it. I never seasoned mine really, except when I first bought it. Its a wagner Ware, but not too old.....has Made in the USA on it. It was cheap. and it looks "rustic". Thats what we try to buy.....old, rustic things, they were just made better....usually.

I used to on my old cast iron stove, but my current one has a convection deck so that doesn't work much.

I also refrain from adding any more volatile organic compounds to the air I breathe than are already in the air in my home...

I have a cast iron dutch oven on the stove along with a humidifier. Humidity is now 35% using both. It varies 35%-40% during burning.

Last edited:
Gave up on the pot on the woodstove deal, it goes empty too often and doesn't smell good then. Take more long hot steamy showers and the humidity level is fine.

Then the water bill and electric goes up slightly. I see what you mean tho.

I think I get you......about the air in your house.

We did the stove cast iron pot for years. It smell's great, but not a lot of humidity. We now use a fan type humidifier. It puts gallons of water in the air.

Reactions: VintageGal
I did the pot on the stove for a few years, never saw a difference.

Bought many $20 humidifiers (3-4 a year for 2 + years), and no difference, just blew through a lot of them.

The entire time I was doing this, I kept going back to one of these, but never purchasing one because I kept telling myself that it was to much money, blah, blah, blah. That's when I said enough, and bit the bullet. Considering what I spent on the $20 ones, it was a no brainer.

1669574044262.png

Amazon product ASIN B07GZDLMMB
Works like a charm. Fill it every 2-3 days (I keep a couple of water cooler jugs ready for refilling), and my sinuses thank me ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: VintageGal
I did the pot on the stove for a few years, never saw a difference.

Bought many $20 humidifiers (3-4 a year for 2 + years), and no difference, just blew through a lot of them.

The entire time I was doing this, I kept going back to one of these, but never purchasing one because I kept telling myself that it was to much money, blah, blah, blah. That's when I said enough, and bit the bullet. Considering what I spent on the $20 ones, it was a no brainer.

View attachment 303933
Amazon product ASIN B07GZDLMMB
Works like a charm. Fill it every 2-3 days (I keep a couple of water cooler jugs ready for refilling), and my sinuses thank me ;)
Yeah, new filters are pricey though and they're great bacteria breeding grounds. Their output is also dependent on the ambient humidity. I went with this ultrasonic model a few years back. Puts out 2 gallons/day, which is a good bit.
PureGuardian H4810AR Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier for Bedrooms, Quiet, Filter-Free, 120 Hr, 2 Gal Treated Tank Surface Resists Mold, Pure Guardian Humidifier with Essential Oil Tray https://a.co/d/5uizeUV

I guess I really just like the rustic look of it. My Grandmother always had one on the cook stove, but she actually made tea and coffee.

I just bought this. I'm using a humidifier currently. The house gets very dry and staticy in the winter. Hope this does the trick.

Screenshot_20221128-063813_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Use just a cheap pot or sauce pan. Have hard water (limestone) so gets a lot of buildup after a while and you have to throw the pan out. Does help with the humidity in the house by upping it at least a couple %.

Yeah, new filters are pricey though and they're great bacteria breeding grounds. Their output is also dependent on the ambient humidity. I went with this ultrasonic model a few years back. Puts out 2 gallons/day, which is a good bit.
PureGuardian H4810AR Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier for Bedrooms, Quiet, Filter-Free, 120 Hr, 2 Gal Treated Tank Surface Resists Mold, Pure Guardian Humidifier with Essential Oil Tray https://a.co/d/5uizeUV
A little vinegar added to the water does wonders ;)

I like the cast iron rooster pot. It should work well about the static and all. Nothing sucks like getting jolted at 4am on a bathroom run.

So, I found myself wandering around in Workd Market today. I went in after some soup my wife asked for. They had a variety of cast iron tea pots. They were small and decorative. They also had little baskets that were indie the tea pot, for tea leaves, but I imagine it would hold apples, orange peels or whatever nicely and be easy to clean.

Reactions: stoveliker
I use my tea pot daily I guess you could say. Its always on the stove. I think it helps with the air, and the smells are a plus.

Doesn't look as neat as the cast iron pans, but I use an old 9x13 cake pan. Lots of surface area for evaporation. Do have to be careful with it, though. I had it in the kitchen one day in preparation for descaling. A friend came over and saw the cake pan setting there. Thought it was full of left-over cake icing, so grabbed a big pile of crumbs and took a bite! Well, they definitely got their dose of calcium for the day!

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker