TED and LED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
All this talk about energy monitors got me to fire up the TED 1001 this morning. Power line communication interference has been a problem. I had put a filter on an offending TV upstairs, but I couldn't get around an issue where switching on the lights in the kitchen, where I also have the display, in some combination, wouldn't knock off the signal. The lights were CFLs. I've since replaced everything with LEDs. Low and behold, it's now rock steady. I'm sure it'll stop working as soon as I write this, but I'm hoping for the best.

Just one more fabulous reason to spend big bucks and replace all your CFLs. :)

More problems. Plug in a battery charger and nothing. Found that the smokes DECREASE total watts by 30. Stay away from powerline carrier.

I have to say that PLC is the only thing I really don't like about the TEDx000 systems. I had to jump through hoops to get my TED5000 to work properly. Once I had it talking it worked great for a couple years without any disconnects etc. I ended up having to put my gateway on a dedicated circuit that had a line filter on it and all the MTU's feeding from the same. They would have done better (in my opinion) to either require some cabling or go with a wireless signal (I can see costs/benefits to both of those though).

A Tripplite Isobar Ultra power strip added to my computer room cleaned up my TED1001 reception in the kitchen from erratic to nearly continuous blinking. The APC UPS on my PC was the worst offender in the house. Plugging the UPS into the power strip isolated the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.