Tee behind stove with clean out cap or pipe straight off stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
I've used a "classic" (is that the right term now?) insert with ss liner for 20 years. Masonry chimney is now gone and insert too. Planning for a free standing stove in the near future that will have a metal chimney straight up through cathedral ceiling.

Since the old insert was open (no insulation, burn tubes, catalyst, etc.) at the top of the firebox, I could just sweep the chimney straight down into the stove - no fuss, no mess.

What do you all recommend for cleaning purposes - a rear vent into a tee behind the stove with cap to use as a clean out or chimney pipe straight off the top of the stove? I realize that the top vent will draw better, but want to know if not sweeping into the top of a modern stove will save any maintenance effort. Thanks.

I did the same thing as you, eliminated a masonry chimney with insert and installed a fresstanding stove in its place. My stove ccan be vented either out the back or out the top. I believe that the top outlet for exhaust is better for the sake of reducing bends in the smoke path and also since sucking straight up and out seems more efficient. In the case of my Hearthstone stove, the chimney brush will be run right into the stove from the roof. I will need to remove the baffle of course but by leaving the stove door closed and brushing into the stove I will have all my creosote conveniently located in the stove for cleanup. No chance of it blowing all over the house. If you just clean through a tee at the bottom then you will miss that horizontal piece on the back of the stove.

I vote vertical all the way. Horizontal is for retrofit.

Go vertical and if you want to clean from the bottom and your chosen stove makes that difficult just use double wall telescoping for the peace above the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.