Tell me about the Jotul f500 Oslo!

rwh63

Nov 12, 2019
MA
i kind of like the look (used to vermont castings). jotul seems to have had stable ownership. does that mean excellent customer serve and parts availability? i see a gotham me location. is the NA headquarters? can you buy direct? have they had to make this into a cat stove with 2020 regulations? i hear it likes dry wood best (like most stoves i suppose). non-cat vs cat versions pros and cons. pictures!

rwh63

Nov 12, 2019
MA
jumped over to Jotl site. saw a short video. 20 year cat warranty, no damper/by-pass gate. looks nice.

Texas123

Apr 12, 2016
Stephenville, TX
I have owned a 500 Oslo since the winter of 2015. This is a solid and well built stove. What I like the best about the stove is the side load door. On the coldest nights here in Central Texas, it has been 25 outside and with the main circulating fan we have held 74 in the hallway. To prevent the wood from falling into the glass we had cut a piece of quarter inch steel which fits around the primary air "doghouse" in the front. The photo shows the addition to the stove.
I would not hesitate to purchase another Oslo 500.

Attachments

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Well I call her Sue and she likes long walks on the beach in the moonlight . . .

Ok, on the serious side . . . Back in 2008 when the heating oil prices were $4 plus I was looking for alternative heating and after realizing the chances of getting a pellet stove that year -- or even that winter -- were slim to none I opted for a woodstove and the Jotul Oslo soon made the top of my list since a) reliability is one of the things I highly prize whether it be in a car, ATV, sled or even a toaster oven and b) while there are more inexpensive woodstoves I was willing to pay a little extra as a woodstove is kinda like a piece of furniture in the living room and is a focal point.

After a decade plus I can say I am very happy with my purchase. The Oslo has proven itself to be very reliable (only had to replace a couple of gaskets and a baffle blanket in all that time), looks good in my opinion and most importantly has kept me warm.

There are a few drawbacks that folks have noted over the years. Using the front door as the primary means of loading the stove often results in ash spillage vs. using the side door. The air control lever can stick if not cleaned occasionally and graphite is not applied -- I do this once a year at the start of the season and it usually is good for the entire winter.

It is also perhaps not the best choice if one was looking for a stove for a cabin say where you need quick, hot heat. Rather, the Oslo is like a locomotive that slowly builds up momentum (or heat in this case), but once up and cruising it does a fine job of radiating heat into the home.

My only regret in all these years is that I did not opt for the blue black finish and instead cheaped out by going with the plain Jane black matte paint. I mean the stove still looks good after all these years, but that blue black finish is the cat's meow.

Yes . . . you are correct. Jotul's North American headquarters is in Gorham, Maine. Last I knew the parts were being shipped over from Norway and the stove was assembled here in Maine. Jotul incidentally is reportedly one of the oldest stove manufacturers.

Yes . . . at least around here I find you can easily find several Jotul dealers. I haven't had to purchase any parts so I cannot speak to that question, but the time I needed gaskets and the baffle blanket the local dealership had it all in stock. I did find however that when purchasing the stove at the time back in 2008 that there was not much of a difference in pricing between the dealerships -- I think the best difference was $100-$200. That said, it may have been due to the time and high demand.

I do not think you can buy a Jotul direct.

Yes . . . all modern woodstoves need truly dry wood. Then again, one could argue that all woodstoves period do better burning dry wood vs. wood laden with moisture since last I knew water does not burn very well.

Finally . . . in the last year or two Jotul did change up the Oslo to Version 3 with the addition of the cat. Many of us long time Oslo fans are eagerly awaiting reports from buyers and users to see how well (or not well) the revised Oslo works. I know some folks have some concerns over the cat and cat longevity based on its location in the stove, but to date I have not seen many reports -- good or bad -- on the new stove.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I have had an Oslo since 2016. Love it! So does the girlfriend.
We do not use the side door.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
We will burn the stove for a couple days straight and then let it go out for a day.
I found it to be a hassle to use the side door I just cut the wood a little shorter, maybe 16 or 17 inches and we use the front door.

Also we don't use the ash pan. Dump it out once a year, May 1.