Temco 424I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cspires1993

Jan 7, 2023
Wisconsin
I have a Temco prefab 424I, I get smoke coming out of the top vent anytime I use the fireplace, I installed a draft fan on top of the chimney because I initially thought it was a drafting issue (ive also tried warming the flue with newspaper).

However it still smokes out the top vent. What could be the issue here?

I have a Temco prefab 424I, I get smoke coming out of the top vent anytime I use the fireplace, I installed a draft fan on top of the chimney because I initially thought it was a drafting issue (ive also tried warming the flue with newspaper).

However it still smokes out the top vent. What could be the issue here?
The only way that smoke can come out in the upper vents is if the firebox is compromised in some way

Is the upper part of the fireplace around the damper area pretty rusty?

No doesn't look like it, and it all looks sealed. Another issue is that it doesn't draft properly, smoke just rolls out the front of the firebox (with doors open, it doesn't have doors) unless I burn logs vertically, which obviously over fires the chimney. Chimney is a double walled 9 or 10 inch pipe that protrudes roughly 10ft above the roof. There are a couple small branches close to and above the chimney, could this interfere with drafting?

Last edited:
No doesn't look like it, and it all looks sealed. Another issue is that it doesn't draft properly, smoke just rolls out the front of the firebox (with doors open, it doesn't have doors) unless I burn logs vertically, which obviously over fires the chimney. Chimney is a double walled 9 or 10 inch pipe that protrudes roughly 10ft above the roof. There are a couple small branches close to and above the chimney, could this interfere with drafting?
Some pics might help

Something may have built a nest in/on the unit that is starting to burn off as it warms up. Mice or squirrels?

Sorry it's taken so long, here's a couple videos of the inside of the firebox. I didn't get a photo of the chimney yet but it's a flat roof. The chimney is a double walled metal pipe extending 15ft above the roof.

Here's the videos:

It says the videos have been archived, can not be seen at this time.

Second video, along the inside of the outer lip, is the metal damaged?
These gaps might be a source of leakage? Hard to say.
temco gaps.png

But that doesn't explain the balky operation. The chimney system should be inspected for any blockage or internal breakdown.

Is this the TLC42-4I? Does it have the louvered grille face?

Last edited:
These gaps might be a source of leakage? Hard to say.
View attachment 308176

But that doesn't explain the balky operation. The chimney system should be inspected for any blockage or internal breakdown.

Is this the TLC42-4I? Does it have the louvered grille face?
It does, (That decorative stuff is only there right now because the fireplace isn't working properly and is unused)
20230121_214510.jpg

Were the fireplace and its chimney system thoroughly cleaned and inspected?