Temp question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john84

Oct 22, 2013
Mass
I have my wood stove hooked into my existing fire place it has a tee coming out of the back hooked into a 6 inch liner. Really the only spot I have to check flue temps is on the tee. What is the safe temp range? Especially on start ups?

Thanks guys

Need more info. What is the stove? Pics would help. Single or double wall stove pipe? What kind of liner? Is the liner all the way to the top?

Encore 2n1. Single wall tee going to a flex liner all the way to the top. I've been taking readings just below the collar. I'm trying to figure out a safe high temp and also what's a decent temp while the stove is in cat mode.

Thanks.

John, you should be able to find this information in the stove manual.

It's hard to give a specific answer. If you can provide a pic of the installation, it may help.

What have you been using to measure the temps with? An IR thermometer or a surface thermometer like a Condar, etc?

Just in general, at least with a vertical single wall pipe, if you can measure the surface temp at around 12" up, the internal temps will be about double that (in F). I read my flue temps with a probe thermometer because it's double wall. I try to keep the internal temps around 600 or 700 during a cruise cycle, but it often can hit 1000 or more at startups. I don't fret an occasional 1200 and the flue could take even more temporarily. Maybe you can use that information in your situation, but it may vary, not knowing more.

I can't seem to upload a picture with my phone. But it's tee that hooks directly into the back of the stove

Also there is no way for me to check temps further up because its installed into an existing fireplace

Temp question. Here is a pic of the tee. That's the only area I can hit with the ir gun. What's a max temp for the tee on a start up

Yes it is single wall attached to about 25 feet or so of flexable liner.
Jon, First I would check the stove manual for your stove and see what it says. Secondly, I would get some brand of magnetic thermometer, there are a lot of them out there and everybody likes a different brand. You can search for threads with opinions on that and find a lot. Here is an example.
Temp question. After you get your thermometer you will find that it has guideline ranges for best burning. They are usually recommended to be placed at about 18 in above the stove, so you will probably run a little hotter than these ranges. But that should be a good place to start.

As for start ups, sometimes it is hard not to get into the red range, above 500. That isn't going to hurt anything as long as it isn't sustained for very long. If it gets up there, just shut down the air and it will go down. I start shutting down the air from full open (in increments) at about what would be 400 (I have double wall and an internal probe thermometer and actually start shutting down at about 800 which equates to about 400 surface temp on single wall). You will find that every start up is a little different. You just have to learn your stove. So experiment. You will get the hang of it.........and then one day when you think you have it all figured out, it will surprise you! I have had my stove try to run away more than once. It just depends on so many things, draft, temperature outside, species of wood and how much moisture in it, how you stacked it in the stove, etc. etc. ;)

Hopefully, some with a similar setup (there are lots of them out there) will chime in here with their experience, since my setup is much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.