Temperature difference on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
with my Jotul rockland, I notice difference in the stovetop temp using a magnetic thermometer in slot (one just off center and one more to the side) and with a ir thermometer I have. I point the ir thermometer at the center of front of stove just below where the "slot" begins which carries out the warm air from blowers. I would think that my stovetop thermometer would read higher temps, but it seems like I mostly get the higher temps with the ir thermometer. Tonight I loaded up stove up mostly with wood I inherited that is about 4 yrs CSS and covered, which is drier than my usual 20-22% mc wood. Not used to this dry of wood and stove was definitely hotter than my usual 500 or so degrees stovetop temp. My stovetop therms were both around 600, wpwhile the ir thermometer read 690 at its highest. Again would have figured that the stovetop temps would be higher than when I measure the the top of the cast iron front plate of this insert. Looking for guidance on why this may be happening and if people normally see these types difference with the magnetic thermometers and ir thermometers. Thanks