Tempest boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In my opinion, no, as is described its a batch operation that requires more fiddling with than a more modern wood boiler. Arguably it is not a gasifier but its gets its efficiency with very high burn temps using induced draft so the efficiency is the effectively the same. Definitely needs lots of thermal storage and parts support for any components will be difficult as Dumont is long gone. An interesting "science experiment" to get it running and reliable. My guess is can be, but whoever does so had better plan on steep learning and reliability curve.

Not sure if any Hearth.com members are still running them. My guess is the refractory would be gone if actively used for this many years. As for an unused one, if stored properly I expect the major components should still be useable.

Reactions: brenndatomu