Temporary fine tune pellet feed/combustion setting until Mag test...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
With the feed trim down to 2 (M55 Insert) and the combustion trim up to 4, I think....my glass maybe staying clearer slightly longer. For the past two days I have been running with the combustion setting at 5. The stove seems to be running fines but I guess I want to know if this is Ok or should I go back to 4 or 3. So far I haven't had any luck finding anyone who ca do a magnahelic test. I am assuming that this is something that a newbie like me should watch being done but not attempt at this stage. I have a bunch of Enviro maintenance videos but I don't think any of them show a mag test....Thanks, Bill

I try to set my damper so that I can use the lowest combustion air trim. I figure there is no need to run that fan higher than it needs to. So, I set my damper with the combustion air trim on 1. Then unless I've changed pellet brands, I don't have to mess with it. Even then, I don't have to adjust unless there is a BIG difference from one brand to another. Besides, I've never really noticed much difference in the flame when using the combustion air trim.

From my experience, the M55 likes a mag reading a little on the low side for best efficiency. It seems to smoke up the glass no matter what I do, so I set it for max efficiency to hold the hot air inside the stove as long as possible. It's not designed to work like other pellet stoves that are more like a torch. The M55's flame looks more like a "real" woodburning stove flame. I set mine around .15-.16 on the mag. It's not rocket science, get a mag and plug it in thru the screw in the upper right corner of the stove. It's pretty simple really.

where exactly is the hole to plug the mag into?

Status
Not open for further replies.