Temporary hearth ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillyNoMore

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2009
WA state
Happy holidays forum members! I am on the verge of having my Scan 61 wood stove installed in order to get some much needed heat into the house. I am in the middle of a bigger renovation project and don't yet have a permanent hearth in place. The Scan only requires ember protection (~3'x4' large), so what would you suggest I put down on a temp basis until I can get the tiling done?

One thing I have on hand is a tempered glass panel from an AL sliding patio door that we took out. Would this work?

One last question (for now): I plan on installing the DuraVent 68" telescoping stove pipe from the stove to the ceiling. If the height of the permanent hearth is lower than the temp hearth, will I end up with extra screw holes visible in the stove pipe? Will this be unsightly/problematic?

Many thanks as always for your guidance!

Go Here:

http://www.hyccompany.com/pdfs/Page_18-19.pdf

Hy-C makes inexpensive ($150+/-) UL listed stove boards that
are made from an aluminum wrapped Micore product.
They're only about 1/2" thick, so your finished hearthpad will
definitely be higher & the screw holes will be a non-issue.
Maybe there's a hearth store near you that has or can get them...

If strictly for ember protection, grab a sheet of 3 x 5 cement board like durock from the local big box store.

Thanks for your quick responses! I was thinking of getting a sheet of HardieBacker but wasn't sure if it would survive the journey on the top of the roof rack. (Still hoping to get a truck one of these days...) Any thoughts on using the tempered glass that I already have on hand?

+1 to Be Green . . . if all you need is ember protection with not much (or any) R value needed a 1/2 sheet of Durock would be the ticket.

1) It's really cheap
2) It offers some R value protection in addition to the ember protection
3) Once you get ready to build a permanent hearth you'll more than likely end up using the Durock anyways so this may save you a bit of money . . . not a lot . . . but it's better than buying something and then never using it again

3/8" tempered glass is my ember protection for my Morso 7110. I was concerned that the floor would get too hot out in front of the stove but it has not been a problem.

Looks like I will be getting a scrap piece of sheet metal from a friend to use until spring. Franks, why did you suggest 2 layers of wonderboard on top of the metal? I thought I only needed something to protect the wood floor from errant embers when I open the stove door...

Thanks for the link to the hearth pad. Unfortunately my budget has been wrecked by the broader renovation, so I'm looking for a no-cost solution since this is only a temporary need. The tempered glass from the salvaged slider is only 1/8" thick so the folks at the stove store thought this might not be stout enough to support the weight of the stove. So it looks like the scrap sheet metal is the winner for now....

ChillyNoMore said:
Thanks for the link to the hearth pad. Unfortunately my budget has been wrecked by the broader renovation, so I'm looking for a no-cost solution since this is only a temporary need. The tempered glass from the salvaged slider is only 1/8" thick so the folks at the stove store thought this might not be stout enough to support the weight of the stove. So it looks like the scrap sheet metal is the winner for now....

Cant find 7 bucks for a Durok concrete backer?

Hey nojo, thankfully I do still have 7 bucks. The hearth pads others were recommending start at $50 and I would rather put that towards the permanent tile work I plan to put in. On top of that I don't have easy access to a truck right now so getting a sheet of hardiebacker home is easier said than done.

Just to clarify, Hardibacker is not pure cement board. The original Durock and Wonderboard are pure cementboard.

ChillyNoMore said:
Hey nojo, thankfully I do still have 7 bucks. The hearth pads others were recommending start at $50 and I would rather put that towards the permanent tile work I plan to put in. On top of that I don't have easy access to a truck right now so getting a sheet of hardiebacker home is easier said than done.

I still maintain that going with the 1/2 sheet of Durock would be the way to go . . . it's less than $10, gives you some R-value for peace of mind and you can use it when you get ready to build your permanent hearth . . . and best of all perhaps . . . you should be able to get it home in many cars/trunks as it is not a full 4 x 8 sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.