Weird Chimney Liner Behavior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jalmondale

Dec 16, 2021
NY
Background on my setup: I have a stove set on an expanded hearth in front of an old fireplace. It's rear-vented, going back about 20" to a T with a cleanout at the bottom that then goes up the old masonry chimney, which is now lined with a 6" liner (photo attached).

When I do a reload after the stove has cooled off, and I'm getting the flue temps back up, the liner will suddenly drop about half an inch at the T - it's very visible, sudden and makes a clear 'thunk'. I think this is just temporary expansion, since it's happened a number of times but the pipe still overall looks like it's in the same place (it's not slowly continuing to drop down). I've never noticed it snapping back up into place, so I assume that happens more slowly.

Is this normal? Should I be worried about stress on the insulating block off board surrounding the liner? Does this mean I'm heating the flue too quickly? The probe thermometer never gets above 800, so I don't think I'm overheating it, but it does heat up pretty fast.

_20220113_173549.JPG

Background on my setup: I have a stove set on an expanded hearth in front of an old fireplace. It's rear-vented, going back about 20" to a T with a cleanout at the bottom that then goes up the old masonry chimney, which is now lined with a 6" liner (photo attached).

When I do a reload after the stove has cooled off, and I'm getting the flue temps back up, the liner will suddenly drop about half an inch at the T - it's very visible, sudden and makes a clear 'thunk'. I think this is just temporary expansion, since it's happened a number of times but the pipe still overall looks like it's in the same place (it's not slowly continuing to drop down). I've never noticed it snapping back up into place, so I assume that happens more slowly.

Is this normal? Should I be worried about stress on the insulating block off board surrounding the liner? Does this mean I'm heating the flue too quickly? The probe thermometer never gets above 800, so I don't think I'm overheating it, but it does heat up pretty fast.

View attachment 291239
It is normal yes. Metal expands as it is heated and it has to go somewhere. In your case it goes down. The easiest way to address it is by stacking brick below the tee to keep it from dropping and putting stress on the stove connection etc